ProTurn 148 with Kawasaki self-chokes

pict1000

Threads
My Gravely ProTurn 148 with Kawasaki FX691V runs perfectly for 30 minutes then begins to slightly surge a little. As run time increases surging increases, and it begins to act as though I were slowly increasing the choke handle. Like it wants air. For instance, when I disengage the blades then re-engage them, it strains the engine, almost killing it, sometimes backfiring. Just like choking it while running.

It's got 350 hours or so on it. I use it on only one 3 acre yard. I have new fuel filter, plugs, air filters. I checked for clear air and fuel lines. And I've run SeaFoam fuel additive through it for a couple of tank-fulls.

Do I need new gas caps? Hopefully not a dirty carburetor because I'm not sure I completely know what I'm doing with this one.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Surging is a lean running condition caused by too much air, if you can choke it will it's running, it will probably smooth out and run good. i would start by loosening the gas cap when it's surging. if it goes away, it's not venting properly.
It could also be an intake gasket failing when hot and letting air in past the carburetor causing it to run lean.
get some WD40 in a trigger spray bottle, with the engine running and surging, saturate the area around where the carb bolts to the engine and where the intake manifold bolts to the cylinder head. If the engine, runs better or blows white smoke, or has any change in RPM, you've found your vacuum leak causing a lean running condition.

pict1000

Threads
Surging is a lean running condition caused by too much air, if you can choke it will it's running, it will probably smooth out and run good. i would start by loosening the gas cap when it's surging. if it goes away, it's not venting properly.
It could also be an intake gasket failing when hot and letting air in past the carburetor causing it to run lean.
get some WD40 in a trigger spray bottle, with the engine running and surging, saturate the area around where the carb bolts to the engine and where the intake manifold bolts to the cylinder head. If the engine, runs better or blows white smoke, or has any change in RPM, you've found your vacuum leak causing a lean running condition.

OK great! I'll give it a go and report back later. Thanks for that thoroughly thorough suggestion!!

pict1000

Threads

When surging, when I re-engage the blades, it's backfiring. Isn't that due to running too rich? No?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
could be misfiring due to not enough fuel. Which can sound like a backfire.
What causes surging is, (the pro's may need to correct some info in the following)
Engine does not have enough fuel (or too much air)
engine slows due to not enough fuel, the governor senses this as a load bogging down the engine, governor opens throttle (Wider than what you can open with the throttle control) so it gives the engine more fuel, which causes the sudden raise in RPM's, the cycle then repeats.

pict1000

Threads
could be misfiring due to not enough fuel. Which can sound like a backfire.
What causes surging is, (the pro's may need to correct some info in the following)
Engine does not have enough fuel (or too much air)
engine slows due to not enough fuel, the governor senses this as a load bogging down the engine, governor opens throttle (Wider than what you can open with the throttle control) so it gives the engine more fuel, which causes the sudden raise in RPM's, the cycle then repeats.

I see. Thanks for that explanation!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You can also get floating debris in the petrol tank that gets sucked into the outlet as the mower is running like hairs in your shower drain .
Then when you turn the mower off they float away .
So you start mowing and all is well, then surging starts and if you turn off for a while it goes away till you start mowing again.

pict1000

Threads
You can also get floating debris in the petrol tank that gets sucked into the outlet as the mower is running like hairs in your shower drain .
Then when you turn the mower off they float away .
So you start mowing and all is well, then surging starts and if you turn off for a while it goes away till you start mowing again.

I thought about that. How can I fix it? Remove the tanks and clean them? Easier way?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
drain the tank & let it dry right out
Shove a feather duster into the tank & swirl it around to free up stuck on debris
Put an air line on the fuel outlet and have a long blow
Those miracle dust magnet cloths work well too.
To confirm it is the tank hook up an alternative fuel supply , pinch the tank off your push mower , motorcycle , boat etc .
Problem goes away confirms fuel supply blockage.
If yours is a duel tank mower the debris can also get caught in the switch over valve .
Some cheap fuel lines can also go soft & pinch off when hot .

pict1000

Threads
drain the tank & let it dry right out
Shove a feather duster into the tank & swirl it around to free up stuck on debris
Put an air line on the fuel outlet and have a long blow
Those miracle dust magnet cloths work well too.
To confirm it is the tank hook up an alternative fuel supply , pinch the tank off your push mower , motorcycle , boat etc .
Problem goes away confirms fuel supply blockage.
If yours is a duel tank mower the debris can also get caught in the switch over valve .
Some cheap fuel lines can also go soft & pinch off when hot .

Very helpful. Thanks!!