Protecting bunnies and snakes

RockHound

Threads
Yup, chasing snakes is a game where I live. Too many of the little critters around. If you are using a push mower though, it is pretty dangerous unless you hear the "chunk" when it hits. As far as bunnies, they usually skedaddle when the mower comes close. Never had the experience of hitting anything bigger thank goodness.:eek:

Greenblades

Threads
I'm wondering if the automated robo mowers, since they look like they are super close and super tight to the ground, have a lower snake murder ratio, since it looks like it would be hard for a snake to get under there....That might preclude me having to make a modification.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ha ha.. if one goes under it it will be toast... I think your pet snakes would be alright because it will always keep your grass clipped and neat, no tall grass for sneaky snakes to hid in:smile: ... KennyV

Greenblades

Threads
I do think that might be one of my problems. I always like the grass to have a bit of the bushy easter bunny look. I'm not fond of the hyper trimmed look on grass. It doesn't have to be at my knees, either. Gives critters a place to hide.

dusty-t

Threads
Bushy easter bunny look. You really need to explain that.:laughing: If you keep your grass 4inches or shorter you should have no problem seeing the bunnies. Even under bushes as long as you double check the fist time you cut under there. I mow about 10 acres a week in town and in the country and the only thing I ever have problems with are frogs and toads( you can't see them). Bunnys I see before I get to them and some are pretty stupid or in shock. It is not everyday they see a monster. I was hesitant to post this because I know that next week I will take out a bunny. Ah don't worry I will just be more carefull over the next month or so.:thumbsup: Dusty

cottom

Threads
I'm afraid that you are not going to be able to make a snake sifter work in front of a mower or anything else... The smart snakes are going to stay clear, the less smart will not be around to replenish the not so smart ranks... sooo with our help and a form of natural selection we should end up with mostly smart snakes or at least snakes with big ears:smile:.
Bunnies replenish their ranks so fast I see no shortage ever occurring because of anything that could happen to them... KennyV
Ps watch out for sneaky snakes with big floppy ears ... no telling what they may get into. :laughing:

The ONLY good snake is a dead one! :smile:

Greenblades

Threads
Bushy easter bunny look. You really need to explain that.... If you keep your grass 4inches or shorter you should have no problem seeing the bunnies. .... I mow about 10 acres a week in town and in the country and the only thing I ever have problems with are frogs and toads( you can't see them).

1. You know how when you buy kids easter baskets with fake grass and its a little bushy. Its kind of like that. :smile:

2. We used to live in the uber burbs where the grass was always kept at about two inches, but because there was a creek behind the houses, nature was constantly throwing the mower snake sacrifices.:frown:

3. Oh dear lord, now I have to sift for frogs and toads too!! :eek:

:biggrin:

jcobo

Threads
Simple math

more snakes = less mice therefore happier spouse

more snakes = less bunnies therefore less hasenpfeffer:licking:, which is not good

jcobo

Threads
Here is the third mod I was talking about. I remember growing up running over snakes or other animals and being horrified. It didn't have to be tall grass either.

I know that the vibration and vroom vroom should scare them away but it doesn't always. I was thinking of some version of a cow pusher but every design I come up with seems like it would push the grass over a snake and trap it. Any ideas?

Try these "solutions"

How do you catch a Unique Rabbit? Unique Up On It.

How do you catch a Tame Rabbit? Tame Way.

What do you get when a rabbit falls into the chloroform? An ether bunny

:laughing:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
ALRIGHT...
someone IS reading the old posts...
I was thinking of going back to re-read the oldies... but thought I would wait till the one year anniversary...
it is coming up soon... :smile:KennyV