Problems with a craftsman mower 917.376060

Vintshave

Threads
I have this mower which has been sitting awhile. The throttle control cable was broken and the cable that attaches to the front drive wheel control is slack. I kept pulling the rope with gas in the tank and it wouldn't start. If I spray starter fluid into the air intake it starts and then quickly shuts off.

UPDATE
After I replaced the carb (which was very corroded), the filter, springs, fuel line. The mower started on one pull and I was able to mow for about a minute before it cut out. I couldn't restart it.

Since the mower was sitting for some time - and figuring that the engine was getting gas - I replaced the spark plug. Started right up. Ran for about 30 seconds and then cut out. Couldn't restart it.

In both instances, I shot starter fluid into the carb after it died. Nothing at all. Didn't even restart for a few seconds.

At this point, I'm at a loss - mentally and financially. I can't imagine what else it could be. It ran - albeit for a short time. What should I be checking next?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Engines need 4 things to run, Fuel,Air,Compression, And spark (at the right time).
Most likely compression is good since it will start.

Pull the fuel line off the carb and be sure you have good flow, if not, there may be some trash in the fuel tank getting sucked into the lines.
Also, how old is the gas? May be water contaminated.
And Am I correct in thinking you tried to restart it with starter fluid after it died twice?
May have a ignition issue., You'll have to remove the metal blower housing to access the coil, and try unplugging the black kill wire from it. If it then starts and runs good, the wire may be shorting and killing spark.
What are the engine Model numbers? Should be located above the spark plug or muffler, stamped on metal. From the craftsman model number I think I know what engine you have, but want to be sure we get everything right to help you.

albreton_

Threads
Yes agree check the fuel lines, change the gas and fill it up, and if there’s a fuel pump check it as well. Could be ignition but check fuel first. Sounds fuel related type problem

Vintshave

Threads
Strange happenings. I let the mower sit for a couple of hours. I did nothing to it since I wrote the last message. Now it starts right up and runs well :p

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Strange happenings. I let the mower sit for a couple of hours. I did nothing to it since I wrote the last message. Now it starts right up and runs well :p
Grass clippings that end up in the fuel tank end up translucient as the fuel replaces the water and because they are almost the same density as the fuel will float about like alge in water.
When the engine is running fuel is sucked down into the outlet as is the floating debris.
The debris accumulates and eventually clogs the outlet .
When the motor is off there is nothing to draw the debris into the outlet hole so it floats away.

Vintshave

Threads
So now would I fix this so it doesn't happen again? I was using fresh gas in the tank

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Before you fix anything you need to confirm that this is the problem.
OTOH draining & cleaning the fuel tanks every now & then does not hurt.

SO to fix, drain out the tank take the cap off and allow t to dry out
Get an air duster and blow out the tank till it is clean.