Problems when running my Mower

Threads
Hi everyone,

First of all I am knew to these forums, also I am amateur at small engines and I just do simple repairs for a hobby, but this problem got me stuck.

I have a Briggs and Stratton engine attached to a Victa lawnmower with the following specs:

Model = 92908
Type = 5175 01
Code = 82072308
Horsepower = 3.5
CC = 148CC

So my problem is that when I started the mower on the throttle setting of start, it run very slowly at about 2rev per second and increases after a while after I slow the throttle down and if I try and increase it to near full throttle it just dies and when I try and start it again it won't start, it just starts for 1 rev and dies. I have to leave it for about an hour or so before it will start again and do the same thing

Also to start it I have to take the air filter and air filter housing off otherwise it won't start, I have cleaned the air filter and oiled it.

It has been sitting in one of my mate's shed for who know's long after it wouldn't start and he decided to give it to me to fix, first of all I drained the old oil and put new oil in and the fuel that was in it before had evaporated so I just about half a litre in and it started doing what it is doing now.

What should I do, is their something I can adjust like the idle speed and how? Should I clean the carb?

Thank you in advance

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You are going to need to remove and clean the carb, and most certainly replace the diaphragm between the carb and tank. May also need to clean the junk out of the fuel tank, because it will come back to get you, by clogging up the filters on the fuel pipes.

Threads
You are going to need to remove and clean the carb, and most certainly replace the diaphragm between the carb and tank. May also need to clean the junk out of the fuel tank, because it will come back to get you, by clogging up the filters on the fuel pipes.

If I want to clean the carb, can I use any carb cleaner e.g. car carb cleaner. Also is it still possible to buy the gasket between the carb and tank or will I have to cut one from gasket paper. Then for cleaning the petrol tank, do I remove the petrol tank and wash it out with water and then let it dry?

Thank you in advance

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Get rid of them damn points, would be the first suggestion/. Pop on a good used electronic coil!!!!!

gfp55

Threads
If I want to clean the carb, can I use any carb cleaner e.g. car carb cleaner. Also is it still possible to buy the gasket between the carb and tank or will I have to cut one from gasket paper. Then for cleaning the petrol tank, do I remove the petrol tank and wash it out with water and then let it dry?

Thank you in advance
After you dump water out, check for rust, if no rust let it dry and if the tank has any rust, just put some small stones (pea gravel) about the size of a pencil eraser in the tank. Put in about two hand fulls of gravel and shake it up for some time and that should knock off most of the rust, pour out the gravel, look inside, repeat if necessary.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads

Thank you in advance

car carb cleaner is fine, yes the gasket is available, and I normally put some sort of solvent, or even spray carb cleaner in the tank and add a handful of nuts, like the type that go on bolts, or sometimes marbles, and shake.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads

Thank you in advance

Paper gasket wouldn't work. You will need the proper gasket because its also the fuel pump.

Threads
So I have made a bit of progress with it, I decided to buy a new spark plug because I thought that maybe my mate put the wrong spark plug in and he did, I bought a NGK B2-LM and it worked a lot better and it ran at a higher rpm that before but it still does not seem to be perfect. Also the spark plug is larger

I have also ordered a new air filter from my local mower shop for only $8 which is pretty good.

I am going to buy carb cleaner today at the local car shop and clean the carb and wait for the new filter before starting it again.

I also looked inside the fuel tank and it is as shinny as the new spark plug!

Also regarding the spark plug, I noticed that when I took the new spark plug out of the engine after running it, the spark plug was black, how can I tune this carb or is this just a thing that can be fixed by cleaning the carb?

Thank you in advance

Threads
I've found something else to work on the mower in the progress. I have decided to remove all of the rust off the mower and repaint it, at the moment I am hand sanding the paint off rusted metal down with 80 grit sandpaper, is this right? and is their a easier way? Then when I get to painting it what should I use?

Thank you in advance

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Just use Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer, and paint right over the rusty metal, then final coat on the color you desire. But that won't help your ignition problem...