problem going foreward

Blacktrain11

Threads
I have a Cub Cadet LTX 1040 Model #13WX90AS009 Serial #1C150H60087 When you press on the pedal to go forward it takes off like it should for about 30 feet and then gradually slows down to a stop, let off the pedal and press down on the pedal again and it will take off again like it should and gradually slows down again to a stop it about 30 feet. Reverse is normal. I replaced all belts and a new variable speed clutch. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks...

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Drive belts are probably worn out and need replacing. This is a MTD CVT drive system so highly recommend using MTD OEM belts are they are unique to MTD mowers.

Howho

Forum Newbie
Threads

LTX 1040 (13RX90AS056) - Cub Cadet 42" Lawn Tractor (2010)​

956-04015A Variable Speed Pulley​

I have the exact same problem. Replaced the belts with new OEM belts and I still have the same issue. Starts off hard then if you go up a slight hill it slows to a stop. Push the accelator pedal again and it does the same thing again. My will move slowly on level but a slight hill with cause it to slow to a stop, no sound or anything to indicate the source of the problem. Belts are brand new! Any suggestions? Must be an adjustment, something to lose or too tight.
PLEASE help

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Are the idler pulleys holding both belts tight? When you replaced the belts, did you check to make sure the variable speed pulley was moving freely up and down?

Howho

Forum Newbie
Threads
Are the idler pulleys holding both belts tight? When you replaced the belts, did you check to make sure the variable speed pulley was moving freely up and down?
I did but I'll recheck to be sure the idler pullies are good. If they seem loose do I replace springs next they seem normal, but should I replace them to be safe.

However, I did specifically check the variable speed pulley and it was free up and down. Would the next step be to replace the variable speed pully? THANKS

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I’ve never replaced the variable pulley. While you are checked for tension, also check the the pulley themselves are good. Bad pulley bearings can cause this problem. Very unlikely the springs are bad, but I have seen where the DIY guy has not hooked them up properly for proper tension.

Howho

Forum Newbie
Threads
I’ve never replaced the variable pulley. While you are checked for tension, also check the the pulley themselves are good. Bad pulley bearings can cause this problem. Very unlikely the springs are bad, but I have seen where the DIY guy has not hooked them up properly for proper tension.
Will do

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
And the bearings in some of the variable speed pulleys do go bad. Hopefully it is caught before they eat the shaft up. I have repair quite a few of them. Only one variable pulley slide point cause the pulley assy. to be replaced

In this case the two 6203-2RS bearings can be bad. Other variables use needle bearings.

Belts are to be 5L x 90.93 and 2/3 x 40.9. 954-0467A and 954-04208A.

Last edited:

Howho

Forum Newbie
Threads
And the bearings in some of the variable speed pulleys do go bad. Hopefully it is caught before they eat the shaft up. I have repair quite a few of them. Only one variable pulley slide point cause the pulley assy. to be replaced

In this case the two 6203-2RS bearings can be bad. Other variables use needle bearings.

Belts are to be 5L x 90.93 and 2/3 x 40.9. 954-0467A and 954-04208A.
THANKS

Howho

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok I checked and all pulleys are working normal with no issues. However my main drive belt seems too loose to me. Where it goes through the idlers it doesn’t seem very tight, is there a way to adjust the belt tension, I have the exact OEM drive belt, could it be that it is slightly too long? I saw that it could be too long in a comment on Youtube? Thanks for your info.