primerbulb120's Lawn Mower Repair Thread

primerbulb120

Threads
After trying 3 times (unsuccessfully) to create one of these threads, I asked Catherine (admin) to delete my failed attempts and now I'm going to try for the 4th time. :laughing:

My latest project is a Murray M22450. Got it from one of my customers, who ran over tree roots with it and bent the crankshaft. He then installed a smaller blade to prevent it from hitting the sides of the deck, and continued to mow with it until the gas tank mounts and the intake tube broke off from vibration. :thumbdown: I replaced thebroken parts, started it up and found out why they broke. :mad: Tried to straighten the crankshaft with a sledgehammer (I've done it before successfully) but the engine block broke. :mad: Apparently the older blocks were sturdier.

I put my mowers up on sawhorses to work on them. Makes it a lot easier to work under the deck, plus you don't have to bend over to work on the engine! :thumbsup:

Removed the engine

Apparently the vibration broke a motor mount as well. :thumbdown: Looks like I'll be mounting the replacement engine sideways or backwards.

I might be able to repair the motor mount with a weld though. We'll see.

Stay tuned!

Last edited:

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Primer...

Anybody who can true a crankshaft with a sledgehammer is my kind of guy!! I've always said that dial indicators and all that hi-tech stuff is for woosies! LOL

Roger B

primerbulb120

Threads
Primer...

Anybody who can true a crankshaft with a sledgehammer is my kind of guy!! I've always said that dial indicators and all that hi-tech stuff is for woosies! LOL

Roger B
LOL, thanks. :wink:

Shortly after straightening the Toro's crankshaft, I got it out to use it and the right front wheel went rolling across the garage. :laughing: I put the wheel back on, began mowing and the muffler fell off. Apparently Toros don't like being banged on! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

primerbulb120

Threads
Well I figured out a way to mount the new engine:

The "new" engine was removed from a Troy-Bilt with a rusted out deck. After a carb cleaning, air filter and new oil it runs great!

Last edited:

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Pri-Man,

I have an El Cheapo flux core wire welder. I might have tried to grind out the hole and weld in a heavy duty washer. Ground smooth and painted and it would have looked almost original...

Now the knocked off corner of the engine case... That's a problem!!

Roger B

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Pri-Man,

I have an El Cheapo flux core wire welder. I might have tried to grind out the hole and weld in a heavy duty washer. Ground smooth and painted and it would have looked almost original...

Roger B

Hey Roge... I think this guys .. "got the problem" just like Blaznt and Pumper 54 ........Notice the amount of mowers he's showing ..??? Sometimes guys like this look for a chance at a " take-over " .... he see's Chuck and Tom might be have to give-up their mowers .. and he springs in ..ready to scarf everything up ..!!! WE gotta watch this guy too !!

primerbulb120

Threads
Pri-Man,

Roger B

I'm just glad the oil didn't come pouring out when the case broke! :ashamed:

primerbulb120

Threads
Hey Roge... I think this guys .. "got the problem" just like Blaznt and Pumper 54 ........Notice the amount of mowers he's showing ..??? Sometimes guys like this look for a chance at a " take-over " .... he see's Chuck and Tom might be have to give-up their mowers .. and he springs in ..ready to scarf everything up ..!!! WE gotta watch this guy too !!

Oh, come on... I've only shown you 1 or 2 mowers so far! What makes you think I've got more? :laughing:

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
QUOTE: primerbulb 120 -I put my mowers up on sawhorses to work on them. Makes it a lot easier to work under the deck, plus you don't have to bend over to work on the engine!
Did you get that up on saw horses idea from me? Without bending my old body or getting down and can't get back up, can change oil, remove blades, clean deck, change tires and all of that. Just wondering because I charge for ideas and I haven't been paid.:laughing:and still :laughing:

Attachments

• murray elevated 07.jpg
    murray elevated 07.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 5

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Oh, come on... I've only shown you 1 or 2 mowers so far! What makes you think I've got more? :laughing:

Our Recon Drones are still unknown to these guys Roge... You were right.. using the electric motors for being ULTRA quiet was a great idea... I can see every mower they have in the yard...
hey ... did you see the cutie in the bikini sunbathing 2 houses dowm from tom ..?? :rolleyes::rolleyes: