Poulan 950 zx electric clutch only works when not bolted to the crankshaft.

Threads
  • / Poulan 950 zx electric clutch only works when not bolted to the crankshaft.
You have a mid coil short to the clutch body that when grounded provides fewer turns, more current, less magnetism, so high current an no function untill the metal is not touching ground ( what electrical people call a floating ground). So the circuit is different when the frame of clutch has a ground.. I am surprised a fuse is not blowing when mounted and engaged. The less magnetism will not overcome the spring brake incorporated in the clutch which stops the blades when disengaged. You can repeat the test by "Holding in your hand..." testing with a ground wire also touching the one or the other of the metal frames to ground and repeat that the clutch then acts just as if mounted.
I believe it wasn't blowing a fuse because there was an over rated fuse installed and it was melting the fuse holder. It did blow today and upon inserting a proper fuse it instantly blows when I activate the PTO.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Clutch fuses are from 5A to 10 A depending upon which clutch is fitted.

Threads
The one previously installed was 20 amps. I installed a 15 amp which immediately blew on engaging the PTO.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The problem Bert is that most USA mowers only have a main fuse and not a separate PTO clutch fuse. When a mower does have PTO fuse it is usually 7.5 amp. MOst have a 15 amp main but some 20 and 25 amp mains.

I have seen PTO clutches to pull up to 20 amps and still operate but usually overtax the charging system so the battery get drained. I had one a couple years ago to refuse to accept the fact that his clutch was shorted even though it was melting the wiring at 18 amp draw. Later he came back bitching that I knew his PTO was but didn't replace it. Well he had me to replace it so I installed a Warner clutch then he raise cane because I listed it as a Warner on my bill and not a John Deere part. It was the same clutch just without the JD price tag. There is just no pleasing some customers. I should just charged him the JD price and fake the bill using the JD PN.

Threads
The problem Bert is that most USA mowers only have a main fuse and not a separate PTO clutch fuse. When a mower does have PTO fuse it is usually 7.5 amp. MOst have a 15 amp main but some 20 and 25 amp mains.

I have seen PTO clutches to pull up to 20 amps and still operate but usually overtax the charging system so the battery get drained. I had one a couple years ago to refuse to accept the fact that his clutch was shorted even though it was melting the wiring at 18 amp draw. Later he came back bitching that I knew his PTO was but didn't replace it. Well he had me to replace it so I installed a Warner clutch then he raise cane because I listed it as a Warner on my bill and not a John Deere part. It was the same clutch just without the JD price tag. There is just no pleasing some customers. I should just charged him the JD price and fake the bill using the JD PN.
It happens to the best of us. If I recall correctly in the manual of my specific mower the fuse was intended to be 20 amps. It's either that or 7.5 amps. The wiring diagram is slightly confusing. It shows a 20 amp between the battery pin of the ignition but also 2- 7.5 amp fuses in other places... Although I've been all through the wiring harness and not found any other fuses unless they are built into components.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you check the continuity from the two clutch terminals and to ground and you get a continuity reading it has a bad clutch just replace it. Have you tried https://xtremeope.com for a clutch. Good quality and reasonable price.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
$185.95 at xtreme clutches

Threads
Thanks guys for looking that up for me but someone found me one on sale OEM at Sears for $150. I have it ordered and on the way. Like I said though I do appreciate the help. Thanks