Export thread

por-15 fuel tank

H

hotrod351

ive got a 5hp that im on my second gas tank and again rust. really tired of it. figured if i use that por-15 to coat the inside i wont be getting any more. has any one here use por-15 on the inside of there tank. any problems with it.

K

KennyV

WELCOME to these Forums...
The biggest step in coating a fuel tank is the Preparation you must do Before you apply the final product...
If you are going to the trouble of coating the inside of a tank.... Use a complete kit with all the needed chemicals... http://www.eastwood.com/por-15-cycle-fuel-tank-repair-kit.html
any of these top 3 from Eastwood are good...: Gas Tank - Under Car Coatings - Paints & Coatings
Follow the directions and it will last.... :smile:KennyV

H

hotrod351

thats the kit i bought. por-15 super starter kit. comes with everything needed. just wondered if any one here had used it on the there gas tank.

K

KennyV

Have on trencher tank, works great... :smile:KennyV

H

hotrod351

did you get it on the inside top of the tank. thats my concern, flipping the tank upside down to coat every part. from what i understand it has to coat the inside completely. i mad a cap for where the carb mounts to keep it from running out.

K

KennyV

You can use a plastic sheet under the fuel cap... and duct tape over any openings.... Yes You must roll the tank upside down and side ways to cover All surfaces ... that is for the prep & the final coating... :smile:KennyV

H

hotrod351

ok. ill be doing it later this week. ive ued por-15 on the outside of a old gas tank i have that had pin holes, no rust inside just small pin holes. has held for for many years now. just be glad when its done, no more rust to be sucked up the carb.

H

hotrod351

well dont know what i did wrong but one tank finally started cracking and chipping away inside, that was after 3 days of drying and then i put gas in it. the other im still letting dry, which it should already be dry. ive used it on the outside of a gas tank with minor pin holes and it worked great but in thinking now its going to do the same thing in my other tank, chip and crack. oh well i guess ill be buying a new tank.