please read and reply, i need advice on how to modify my mower

logert gogert

Threads
  • / please read and reply, i need advice on how to modify my mower
so your trying to say i would need afifferent trans to do this ? my plan is to go no farther than 15mph, could my tranny handle that?

logert gogert

Threads
and one more question, i would like to remove the rear pulley and swap it to get some more speed but it will not come off, does any body know how i can get this off??????

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
so your trying to say i would need afifferent trans to do this ? my plan is to go no farther than 15mph, could my tranny handle that?
No

Go to the mower racing web sites & read the blogs about what they do to the trannies.
I used to have about 30 old manual boxes in the graveyard but once they kicked off at the local showground they are all gone.
The preferred method is a 2000 series 4 speed box with big sprockets and a clutch because you can not shift these boxes on the fly.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
This will be my last post on this thread, so Logert please read it carefully, plus all other replies before you reply. We have no idea what engine, transmission or body style unit you are talking about. You stated that you have a 2006 MTD mower. Do you realize that in 2006 MTD build thousands of units with different engines and transmissions. You have been asked to supply us with model and serial numbers, but you disregard this request, as well as others. Do you think we have ESP and know exactly what you are talking about. Spoiler alert, we don’t. If you really want help you MUST provide the members with more info (numbers and pictures) which will allow them to make good replies to your questions. Also, reread and take to heart the suggestions and warnings you have been given so far, particularly the last line of post #10. Good By & Good Luck.

logert gogert

Threads
oh yes i do remeber you guys telling me about me having to tell you guys what model i had, im sorry, and now i feel like an idiot, thank yo0u every body for replying and telling me things, im very sorry for not listening to some of you saying "what model do i have and can you give me the number."
tomorrow i will get that number and hopefully you guys havent lost your minds with an idiot like me and reply, thank you guys so much again.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
You're not an idiot. You're just growing up.
The engine model should be stamped on the metal cover, depending on who manufacturers the engine.
The model for the mower is usually on a tag under the seat.

logert gogert

Threads
thank you so much i nwas just wondering to my slef where i could find it

logert gogert

Threads
now if i may ask why will for example changing pulley sizes to make it go faster destroy the tranny? (hydrostatic) and also, ive been scanning the internet, and ive seen people saying that removing the muffler on a mower (wich i did), reduces horse power do to backpressure, and some people say its not true. now is that true or just a myth?

( this is an edit ) >>>>> ive done alot of reasearch tonight and ive been seeing, that a hydro static transmission will not handle faster speeds ( which you guys said) but ive also seen that sometimes a hydrostatic mower can lose speed, and it says you can fix it by priming it or something, and then there was things saying that theres a screw or something you can do to adjust it. is there a way i can tell if it has lost speed, or if it has how can i fix it?? sorry for bombing you guys with questions,ive worked really hard to buy this used mower it wasnt that much money but i still worked hard ( i paid 350$), heres my story : early last summer i wanted to make some money by cutting neighbors yard so i borrowed my dads push mower, ( didint want me to use the rider cause i needed to learn) then i said to myself, "hey, is should start a mowing buisness, i used my money that i scraped up form cutting the neighbors yard and by b day and x mas money, and i bought some parts for my electric scooter i had laying around, i got a 500 watt motor on 3, 12 ah 12v batteries running a 36 volt overvolt kit at 750 watts, a 1000 watt 36v speed controller and a proportional throttle, that thing was bad, i put a 80 tooth rear sprocket on that thing and it flied, i went around 35+ on that thing. i went down the street and bought the used push mower a man was selling, then i whipped out the old lawn tractor trailer we had laying around so i could put lawnmower weedeater, blower in it. then i hooked up a tow hitch to the chassie of the scooter and there i was, imagine a 13 yr old kid going 30 mph down a residental road with a lawn tractor trailer filled with lawn equipment. after a cople weeks i already had 8 yards, i was banking 700$ month avg some more some less, cause 1 month i had 11 yards ( only in the season though i made that much money) then when the season was over and i was coming home from my last yard, i was at an itersection ( residential not public) and i had to get home quick, and i said to my self, "im gonna floor it" so i do, then about 100 feet later, motor stops spinning and i smell smoke, and guess what? motors blown. so im sitting here 2 mi away from home, with no phone, and a blown motor, so now i have to push a 80 pound scooter, and 200 pounds of cargo, 2 miles, mind you i put blood sweat and tears into that scooter, i loved that thing, i rode that sucker 600 miles in 3 months i teared up a bit going home. now to this day i still havent put another motor on that thing luckily seasons over and i have no yards to do.

okay back to what we are talking about originally, its just once i heard that you can have issues modding a hydro static mower, my heart sunk, because i bought this mower with intensions of modding it, and i hope i didnt do it all for nothing.

if i have done all this for nothing somebody plz tell me so i dont go any farther. plz and thx

Last edited:

logert gogert

Threads
here i got the number

model number: ( under seat )
13CO6166190
-----^
might be an O, or an zero couldnt tell
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

family: ( on engine )
YBSXS.7452VR and about an inch next to that it said: 275103
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

serial number: ( under seat )
1E202H20297
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: under the seat it said "emits to 1998 safety inspection" or something like that.
but on the engine it said "complies to 2006 state of california emission law" or something like that.
how? why? mower was a 1 owner machine and the guy that i bought it from said it was stock motor, ( and i dont think hes lying cause hes a good friend of mine ) how is that possible?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

if you guys need any more info jst tell me

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
According to the model from under the seat, it's a 2001 year model.
and two different engines were used, one looks like an opposed twin flathead
and the other looks like a v twin Overhead valve engine.