Please post DETAIL about your problems!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
From your answers, only #4 is a mistake, head bolts should always be dry. If the oil is coming from the valve cover I would say you should be ok. I would then agree with ILengine and look at the valve cover and gasket. Also, check to see if the cover is warped.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Just reread your last post and if you see a spray, that should tell you if it is in the gasket area or a crack in the cover. Now I'm wondering why you have enough pressure to cause a spray.

rpmdad

Forum Newbie
Threads
Further update, took the valve cover off again, and examined it closely and it appears to be warped. The valve cover on this engine is plastic. Have just ordered a valve cover kit, that includes new valve cover, gasket and new bolts. Have my fingers crossed on this one. Thanks for all the input will keep you posted. OK, now i feel like a real idiot, removed air filter and carb cover plate. Had son start tractor, while i was crouched down low watching, with the covers removed i had better visibility appears the oil is not spraying out of the valve cover it appears to be spraying further back from the engine, does this lead me back to the head gasket, ??
IMG_4485.jpg

Last edited:

crafts

Forum Newbie
Threads
I joined this forum after receiving an email that it existed. I used it to get advice on mower problems. I admit that I have not been on for some time but now that I am again, I'm seeing a lot of frustration from the guys that know and want to help.

They can't help trouble shoot your problem if you don't provide detail of your machine and even more detail of your problem. This forum is awesome and we don't want to lose the guys that can help us out by expecting them to know what is going on when we don't provide them with specifics.

Thanks!

Rooster
I have a 1996 craftsman 15.5 ohv. i got the mower running. but now it will not move at all, the part in the back that you pull to move it freely and push in to drive will not take it out of gear to be pushed. idk whats wrong please help!

rpmdad

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 1996 craftsman 15.5 ohv. i got the mower running. but now it will not move at all, the part in the back that you pull to move it freely and push in to drive will not take it out of gear to be pushed. idk whats wrong please help!

crafts had a similar problem with my 2003 craftsman DLT 3000. Turned out to be a stuck break, grass had gotten up underneath the frame and was compressed enough to prevent the brake from releasing, has happened twice to me over the last 10 years, hope that is all it is for you.

keithmac23

Forum Newbie
Threads
Dixon does not move

pulled motor to repair motor and replaced. prior to working on mower moved the freewheel handle to bypass hydrostatic drive. When finished released lever to re engage the hydrostats, and started mower motor runs great, released park brake, and mower will not move forward of backward.

mrcool

Threads
I hope this is how I post. Ok...I have a Briggs engine 125K02-0281-E1 03082559, anyway, I replaced the bottom seal , leaking on blade, . Now, I try to Start it and it won't unless I use starting fluid, just a 1/4th Spray, not a lot, it starts easily then and Runs great. I cleaned the carb, replaced the primer bulb and gasket between filter box and carb,(it pumps Fuel in the carb with 1 pump). I changed the "0" ring connecting the carb to engine, suspecting an air leak. once it is started it will start every time as long as it is hot, (like killing it in thick grass). it starts easily, 1/2 pull. It will not start on "Gas" when it is a cold start. to me, it's like it won't ignite on gas, but does on "Starter fluid".(BTW, a new plug too, tried CJ8, 14,19 seems to make NO difference). HELPPPPP. How do I find my Reply?.. New here and Having problems posting and recieving answers.

Last edited:

sheldonvcooper

Forum Newbie
Threads
Lawn tractor kicks when clutch/brake is released

I have a aw tractor and when i let go of the clutch/brake i kicks and does a mini wheely. Even when you let the clutch off really slow it still does the same thing.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I suspect that your drive belt or drive pulley on the tranny is worn. When was the last time the belt was changed? Also, check the drive idler tension pulley, it may be tight or worn also.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Re: Lawn tractor kicks when clutch/brake is released

I have a aw tractor and when i let go of the clutch/brake i kicks and does a mini wheely. Even when you let the clutch off really slow it still does the same thing.

Did someone put a belt on recently? Is it a MTD? Bent that pulley trying to remove it?