Please help me purchase a new mower to mow 1/2 acre. I have specific requirements.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
  • / Please help me purchase a new mower to mow 1/2 acre. I have specific requirements.
This is probably going to offend you, but I can't ask without it seeming offensive. Can you post on a thread without typing a novel? Way too long. Apparently it's done in an attempt to prove you are more intelligent than everyone else, but it's too much to read.

I agree and it's boring. :rolleyes:

1striper1

Threads
  • / Please help me purchase a new mower to mow 1/2 acre. I have specific requirements.
Well, missed my opportunity. Someone else snagged it!

I didn't make it to the air show. I have lived here over 30 years and I just don't do that kind of stuff anymore. I didn't get the snake oil.... I really don't believe in 99.9% of that stuff.

hmmmm....my mobile post didn't get posted. Oh well.

I said in an earlier post that I'm not a snake oil guy either, but this stuff works. It'll clean up the fuel system on your tractor. I guarantee it. :thumbsup:

1striper1

Threads
And of course all of this is totally irrelevant but resorting to irrevelevance seem to be the norm now days.

Are you saying that us challenging the content of your posts is not allowed? That's what it sounds like to me.

When somebody tells me that I need "meds" or "that I'm not a man if my wife has to blow snow in winter"......I sure am going to pick your posts apart.

Too much bad advice is given (on any type of board) my people with high post counts. # of posts means sheet.....real world experience and the ability to properly analyze the results and turn that into recommendations is what's important.

End of rant....coffee is finished and I'm heading out to enjoy a beautiful day.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
This is probably going to offend you, but I can't ask without it seeming offensive. Can you post on a thread without typing a novel? Way too long. Apparently it's done in an attempt to prove you are more intelligent than everyone else, but it's too much to read. Engines run on the same principles of combustion. I understand what your points are, but the engine temperature on a car increases faster when it's going down the road at a higher rpm than it does sitting in your driveway idling. The same principles should apply to smaller engines such as mower engines.

Btw bertsmobile you are also partially right. I haven't been around any long stroke gas engines, but I have been around plenty of old Diesel engines such as the old long stroke engines on a popping john tractor which also should be idled before shutting off. Have antique tractor pulls in my area frequently. This is a topic that is going to be argued by several. No ones opinion will change from this, so I will leave it alone from now on.

No it is not going to offend, opinion is different to abuse, scarcasm & ridicule and is always welcome.
Sorry for the length but the reasoning is important otherwise we get to a he says vs you says.
Never tried to prove my intellect . Intellect does not make you right but it should allow you to realise when you are wrong and need to change your opinions.

And yes deisels need to be idled down brfore stopping. however that is to prevent running on which has been known to break cranks.
And it is the coolant temperature that increases more rapidly as the revs increase ( which is expected ) not the engine temperature, two different animals.think about it.

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads
No it is not going to offend, opinion is different to abuse, scarcasm & ridicule and is always welcome.
Sorry for the length but the reasoning is important otherwise we get to a he says vs you says.
Never tried to prove my intellect . Intellect does not make you right but it should allow you to realise when you are wrong and need to change your opinions.

And yes deisels need to be idled down brfore stopping. however that is to prevent running on which has been known to break cranks.
And it is the coolant temperature that increases more rapidly as the revs increase ( which is expected ) not the engine temperature, two different animals.think about it.

When coolant temp rises it's because engine temp is rising. Think about it.

rbstern

Forum Newbie
Threads
No arguement from me. I have learned that by allowing my mower to idle for a few minutes before shutoff reduces the chances of backfire. My dealer instructed me to shut it off at full throttle. I have heard several mechanics and others on this site say the same. It just doesn't seem right to me. Here we go again. Sorry Alaska guy :smile:

Best way to shut a mower off, IMO? Leave it running, shut the fuel off. In this day and age of gasoline with a side helping of corn, I find my equipment works more reliably season to season if I put it away each time with the carburetor as dry as possible.

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads
Best way to shut a mower off, IMO? Leave it running, shut the fuel off. In this day and age of gasoline with a side helping of corn, I find my equipment works more reliably season to season if I put it away each time with the carburetor as dry as possible.

The ethanol vs non ethanol debate is a hot topic on this site as well. I have a gas station 5 minutes from my home that sells non ethanol fuel. That's what I put in my mower. I have had no issues at all.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When coolant temp rises it's because engine temp is rising. Think about it.

And no, the coolant temperature is rising because it is taking more heat from the engine which is remaining at the same temperature because the cooling system is removing more heat.
The cooling system keeps the engine at a flat temperature once it has attained optimum running temperature
On a water cooled system the thermostat actually stops the engine getting too cool by closing down the water flow have a good objective think about it.

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads
And no, the coolant temperature is rising because it is taking more heat from the engine which is remaining at the same temperature because the cooling system is removing more heat.
The cooling system keeps the engine at a flat temperature once it has attained optimum running temperature
On a water cooled system the thermostat actually stops the engine getting too cool by closing down the water flow have a good objective think about it.

I fully understand how an engine coolant system works. The water temp increases faster when the engine is reved going down the road than it does sitting in the driveway, because more combustion is taking place (creating more heat). Water temp increases when the engine temp increases. Like I said in earlier post.