Pix Belts

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Doing some research on a belt I was looking at on Amazon. I suppose Amazon isn't just for cheap stuff.
Here's Pix's website.

Features
  • Aramid cord offers high tensile strength, high resistance to shock loads and minimum elongation
  • Specially designed bare fabric facilitates smooth clutching operation and high resistance to wear and tear
  • Able to withstand high levels of reverse flexing
  • Resistance to oil, heat and cracking
  • Temperature range: -18°C to +80°C

I'm wondering if anyone else has tried Pix belts. If so, what was your experience?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Only complaint that I had about the PIX belts was that the sizes didn't match their posted specs. Sunbelt Outdoors used them and I had to throw out nearly 1000 usd worth because they were up to an inch short in 1/2" and over 2" short on some the 5/8 ones. Try putting one on when it is 2" short; so embarrassing when I tried while the customer waited. It was such a problem that I now refuse to order aftermarket belts; besides my current OEM distributor belts cost nearly the same now.

How I know they were short, I went brought myself a 170" v-belt measuring tool at nearly 200 usd to prove the point to Sunbelt and to make sure I wasn't crazy.

Now if you can find one in the right size they are very good belt as I had used them for 8 yrs before they start shipping incorrect sizes 2 yrs ago.

As for an US made brand that would be Gates and most of their belts are to specs but even they make a packaging error on occasion as I have got one incorrect belt from them too, probably was a new person on the assembly line as it was an A86 which should been 88" and the one in the package was 86". So it was an one off time.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Are these kevlar belts, any better than gates black belts?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
We’ve tried them, but found that the angle was wrong most of the time, which resulted in premature failure. Now use 90% OEM belts, as most of our customers prefer a quality lasting job over price. Repeat business and reputation drives our growth.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
The thing about belts is there are so many different applications. For OPE the main ones are clutching and non-clutching. Some belts are designed to bend backwards around idlers. Some belts don't like that. There are many different widths and and angles. Way too many belt cross references spec belts that are close but not exact. Automotive type belts don't work in most OPE applications. Some belts are made for high torqe applications. Some for shock loads. Lots of folks don't know difference betwee. A -B-C-D VS. 2L 3L 4L 5L FHP belts. Unless you know exactly what aftermarket belt works i would stick to OEM.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
First Gates black are poly belt corded, and then there is the Gates green belts that are Kevlar (Aramid) corded. Two totally different belts
The thing about belts is there are so many different applications. For OPE the main ones are clutching and non-clutching. Some belts are designed to bend backwards around idlers. Some belts don't like that. There are many different widths and and angles. Way too many belt cross references spec belts that are close but not exact. Automotive type belts don't work in most OPE applications. Some belts are made for high torqe applications. Some for shock loads. Lots of folks don't know difference betwee. A -B-C-D VS. 2L 3L 4L 5L FHP belts. Unless you know exactly what aftermarket belt works i would stick to OEM.
Exactly. There many sites out there selling will fit belts that actually don't fit properly. Then us mechanics got to straight out the mess after a customer tries installing them and have major problems. So many new belt just gets trashed here it is a shame as the landfill keeps filling up with them.

And as said OEM do have so different applications that they did their research for and most these aftermarket guys are just guessing at what works.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Down here Pix belts are distributed by Jack Max who are the bottom end cheap imports wholesalers.
I did have an account with them but I no longer do as very few of their product lines where a direct replacement.
When I started belts were my biggest nightmare particularly as we measure the inside & you lot measure the outside.
As Hammer stated there is a lot of variation, particularly with the size of the kevlar chords & their placements.

Now I use Stens, Rotary, or Oregon belts and when I come across a size that my suppliers do not have the I buy a Gates blade runner lawn & garden belt ( numbers start with BR )
All of these are from the OEM Exact replacement series and not the general V belt series .
'Then when it comes to MTD vari drive belts, it is often original MTD belts only.
Usually you can not substitute a deck belt for a transmission belt & visa versa because the kevlar chords are different sizes in different positions , regardless of the actual belt dimensions.

Clutching belts ,as used on transmission & manual PTO must be wrapped because as the rubber gets hot, it gets soft & sticky.
Try this yourself when you get out of your truck, flip the hood and grab the belt , feel how sticky it is which is good on a water pump / alternator belt because you do not want it to slip .
However on the mower you do want the belt to slip when you are clutching or starting / stopping the blades so these belts need to be wrapped to hold the stickyness inside.
You can verify this by reaching up and grabbing the transmission belt when you have finished testing the next mower, it will be hot but not sticky.

Then you get to the wraping material.'
It can be cotton, Kevlar or pollyester and each one will act differently on the mower.
Also never ever trust the size written on either the belt and in particular the wrapper.
The belt factories supply the wholesaler with unbranded belts usually in boxes of 100.
The wholesaler then puts the lables on them and it is not uncommon to find one marked wrong.
The exception to this is MTD where the belt number is moulded into the belt .

My go to for checking belts is Gates and this is the web page I use Gates belt interchange catalogue.
You type the mower belt number in the lower window.
In this case I used 754-04118 which is the belt for the yardman I am still struggleing with
The result was 6777BR
If you click on the BR number
You bring up the Gates catalogue 6777 BR specification
And scrolling down will bring up the exact specifications

In this case it is an A 121 63/64" USA size with a 1 deg smaller V angle than the standard 40 deg
Most aftermarket belt suppliers will supply a 122"

If you fit a standard 40 deg belt, you need to run the belt a good 1/2 hour to bed it in to the pulleys

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
And to compound the problem with equipment that uses the belt for clutching is pulley wear. Whenever the belt is slacked to stop drive to wheels or blades there is a pulley spinning on the belt. After enough years you get a worn out pulley. Seen folks go through belts slipping and burning up when they need to change the engine pulley. Seen this a lot on them 20 year old AYP craftsman riders.