Piston Ring Assembly Help

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
in the case of our OP, i don;t think he knows which is the compression and wiper. and that's what he's having trouble with
No Offense.
I thought i used to have a box of quantum rings laying around here with instructions but i guess not.

Bertrrr

Threads
Use a magnifying Glass and look at the taper on the rings , inside taper goes up, outside down oil rings do not have any taper I'm aware of

george2018

Threads
Use a magnifying Glass and look at the taper on the rings , inside taper goes up, outside down oil rings do not have any taper I'm aware of
If you look at my very first post the 2 rings in question are there. There is a basically square ring and one that has a taper. So am I right the the taper rings is first and the square goes second?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
FWIW
The top ring is the fire ring
It's main job is to take the heat & pressure from the burning gas
The 2nd ring is the one that makes the seal.
Every priston ring company has charts about which way to install the various rings
Total Seal instructions Hastings ring identification
Where people get hung up is they see the rings as BRIGGS Rings , thinking that they must be unique to Briggs , ditto for any other engine, car , truck boat, aeroplane makers.
A piston ring is a pison ring is a piston ring
In the early days there were hundreds of different cross sections.
Now days it has been standardized to a dozen or so and all rings that are the same shape go in the same way in the same order regardless of the ring maker or the engine

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Not pertaining to the OP's question but:

Were the ring end gaps checked prior to installing on the piston?

kjonxx

Threads
Top ring has inside bevel, 2nd one sometimes square or stepped on outside faces down.

jmstajr51

Forum Newbie
Threads
Rule of thumb with piston rings. Inside bevel goes up, outside bevel goes down. Inside bevel rings are usually top rings, outside bevels rings are usually 2nd. The idea is the small compression leak around the top ring goes behind the ring to help seal it, the bevel on the 2nd ring helps with oil control.

jono252525

Threads
Your picture # DF24C7A5-5B1C-4E is your second ring and install with the dot on the rings , up.