piston issue?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Won’t find evidence until you tear it apart. If you think it is a bent rod, you better figure out why. Personally I’ve never encountered a bent rod in a small engine.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
A guy on arboristsite bent a rod on his ms170 by improperly trying to remove the clutch or flywheel.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Here are 2 of his projects, both trying to remove the clutch or flywheel.

hole.jpgrod.jpg

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have removed probably a hundred clutches and flywheels. I never use a piston stop unless i have to. I use an impact and a hammer and have never bent or broken anything. I wonder what the guy was doing to bend it like that.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That’s certainly not caused by force of a normally running engine, more like someone who doesn’t know what they are doing. Probably using a breaker bar with a four foot pipe extension. Surprise he didn’t rip the threads off first, unless he was turning it the wrong way.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I had this year that the piston stop busted the piston crown here on a chainsaw but it was because someone had over torque the clutch using an impact. And Hammer there are times that you must use a piston stop along with a pull bar on the backpack blower to get the fan off.

But I never seen a bent connecting rod until now. I thinking that tech was trying to loosen a left hand threaded clutch the wrong direction.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yeah, You have to use a piston stop and hand wrench on those big fanwheels.
But on the bent rod one, he filled the cylinder all of the way with rope, and put an angled force on the rod.