PICS! The Kerry-All RER cover.....

KerryAll

Threads
Hey, red,
Good point on the elastic. I think my plastic is a little stiff for that, but I'll keep it in mind if I happen to move to a softer material in the future.
Measurements? Anyone who has a ride-on (I see you have a bunch), even if they aren't interested in a cover, I'd love to get a good range of makes and models to determine what sizes to make.

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
well i went out measured and they're all practically identical......37" front track......38" rear track.....70" long......40" tall at steering wheel...then the deck....42" without discharge chute.....but it can be folded up....[it seems to be the biggest fitment problem] .. also i have bagger set ups on a couple and thats a whole 'nother story...

KerryAll

Threads
Thanks for those measurements- I'll keep your other points in mind as well. Keep 'em coming, folks!

KerryAll

Threads
well i went out measured and they're all practically identical......37" front track......38" rear track.....70" long......40" tall at steering wheel...then the deck....42" without discharge chute.....but it can be folded up....[it seems to be the biggest fitment problem] .. also i have bagger set ups on a couple and thats a whole 'nother story...

Hey, red- do you think a cover 43" wide overall (to add 1" to the width of the deck) would be too sloppy? To custom fit so it's snugger would be quite a bit more sewing...

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
its doable...if the anchoring set up can pull in the slack parts....that might work....is square easier for you than say a diamond type shape?

KerryAll

Threads
I think a diamond or wedge shape would be okay, it's just things like a small 'bulge' to allow for an odd piece, like the discharge that gets complicated. Can you do a rough sketch with dimensions and send it to me? That would make sure we're on the same page.

info@kerrywoodworking.com

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
ok...i took some pictures with the tape measure in the shot....38-39" would give wiggle room around the tires......as you can see the hoods are different shapes [ and different heights]....id sew it for a taller hood to make sure..........the discharge chutes vary... the MTD [red] chute actually folds backwards [away from 90 degrees].....the craftsman [green] folds strait up [and no further]..............as for the hoods...i took the measurement strait up from the front of the steer tires on both photos...the craftsman has the longer hood.[ but surprisingly not as tall as the MTD]...i would go with the craftsman measurement [ it should cover most mower sizes]....after doing this..i see more of an oval shape coming into play....tell me if you need any more info :wink:...:thumbsup:

Attachments

• IMG_1027[1].jpg
    IMG_1027[1].jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1028[1].jpg
    IMG_1028[1].jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1035[1].jpg
    IMG_1035[1].jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1031[1].jpg
    IMG_1031[1].jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1032[1].jpg
    IMG_1032[1].jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1026[1].jpg
    IMG_1026[1].jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1029[1].jpg
    IMG_1029[1].jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1030[1].jpg
    IMG_1030[1].jpg
    285.5 KB · Views: 6

KerryAll

Threads
Oval shape? As in wider in the middle than the front and rear (sorta coffin-shaped)?

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
yeah....thats it...i know the less seams you make the cheaper you can sell them.....tell me some of the cuts your thinking about....im curious how you put them together....are these polyethylene tarpaulin material?

KerryAll

Threads
I'll do up a sketch in the morning and post it on here. The material is a heavy woven poly, similar to the blue and orange tarps you see everywhere (that deteriorate in about one season outside), but much heavier. It's also treated with an ultraviolet inhibitor for long life outside. The plastic supplier tells me they'll easily last outside for 15 years (they use them a lot for covers on hay storage buildings).

I think we could take a piece about 32" high that would be the four sides, and a top piece in that diamond or oval shape we discussed. Fold the four sides into a rectangle and sew on the top piece. That's a bit simplistic, but the process in a nutshell. Then add the webbing 'belt loops' to the bottom edge of 4 sides to secure the cover.