Picking a snow removal machine

blades

Threads
Dria, Saying that your back is not so good, you would want to stay on the lighter side in the snowblowers. The big 2 stage units can be a bear to handel and the 4-5 hp units 2 stage are a bit light to get down to the surface. Both tend to ride up over packed snow. Wet heavy sticky snow is a challenge for any two wheel and a lot of the garden tractor units. The Toro Commander 6 hp is a favorite with my snow crews. It is a single stage and as such is under a hundred pounds weight wise. the auger is what pulls it along most of the time with excellent throwing ability in most situations and digs right down to the surface if it is not hard packed. It is made in 4 stroke and 2 stroke(got to pre- mix gas and oil) and they are available with electric start. I run a professional snow removal service here in WI, so my units see more time in the field and abuse than any home owners would. I can't speak for the electric start at all as we do not use that, we do use the 2 stroke models as they are lighter and easier to get in and out of the trucks. We do wear out augers, drive belt and the bottom blade about once a season on each unit. Likely that would equate to several seasons for a home owner. Hope this helps.