Parting out a Snapper hi vac mulcher.

Mike88se

Threads
I don't know much about Snapper mowers. I thought they had Hi Vac and mulcher but this one say Hi Vac on one side and Mulcher on the other and has a side/top discharge with a plastic cover.
Snapper model# P217017BV (84956)
The engine is a Briggs Intek 7hp.
Has a bent shaft that barely turns. The deck is good and the transmission. As far as I know everything is good except the block. And the tires are bald. It uses some kind of disc drive self propel.
OEM Parts
feb03_019.JPG
feb03_018.JPG
feb03_019.JPG
feb03_016.JPG

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
Why dont ya just replace the crankshaft then sell it for $200? If we where closer Id buy it from ya.

Mike88se

Threads
Why dont ya just replace the crankshaft then sell it for $200? If we where closer Id buy it from ya.
I thought about doing that Dave but I don't think it would be cost effective. I believe a new shaft is about $90 and then there would be gaskets and seals to buy. I've never replaced a crank on a mower but I've done it on a car engine. Not a fun job.
I think I'd end up with more money and timemoney in it than $200.

If it is... or was as good as the Snapper Ninja I have then its a shame to part it. I'm really impressed with the Ninja. I've thought about keeping it.

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
I thought about doing that Dave but I don't think it would be cost effective. I believe a new shaft is about $90 and then there would be gaskets and seals to buy. I've never replaced a crank on a mower but I've done it on a car engine. Not a fun job.
I think I'd end up with more money and timemoney in it than $200.

If it is... or was as good as the Snapper Ninja I have then its a shame to part it. I'm really impressed with the Ninja. I've thought about keeping it.

Then fix it keep it as a backup for your ninja then.

Mike88se

Threads
Then fix it keep it as a backup for your ninja then.
I'm pretty much mowered up. I got the Quick 36, 2 Honda HRB217's, the Ninja, and the exmark 21. I only need one 21. If I think I need a backup and it is a good idea then I'd just pick up a cheap Toro personal pace. I seem to find good deals on those a lot and with the right blade they're decent mowers. Drive down here and I'll make you a really good deal on the hi vac and you can put a new drive shaft in ;)

Mike88se

Threads

I'm starting to think more about that. Not to sell but to keep. I think I'd move the bag and the plastic adapter tube from the Ninja and put the plastic block off plate from the hi vac on the ninja. Makes sense right? A hi vac should have a bag... a ninja should have a ninja blade and a block off.
I bet that hi vac would be a great mulcher tho with a ninja blade.

Mike88se

Threads
I've sourced a new engine for $99 shipped. I'd need a new blade hub and blade so for $150 total I'd have a good mower. I could probably ebay the fuel tank, muffler, recoil, etc and get $50 of that back. Any opinions would be welcome :)

Sunyimin43

Forum Newbie
Threads
Great!With a blower mulcher to collect weeds and leaves very efficient.

Thomjs1970

Forum Newbie
Threads
It's not to bad but not like the old snappers. if you use gas over a month old it will not run. but for the price it's not to bad just not even close to as heavy duty as the old ones. I use to mow a 1/2 acre that a bit easier.

Mike88se

Threads
Thanks for the info guys but it's gone now.