Engine over revving

Threads
I recently bought a used rer 30,it starts just fine but when you move throttle from choke to run there is no adjustment, it just runs wide open is this a serious problem?

Snapperfreak

Threads
Sounds like it just needs a good carb cleaning.

Rer 30 is a 30" rear-engine rider (afaik)

lzn197

Threads
When you say "wide open, are you saying the engine is running FASTER than normal like 4,000 RPM or just maximum GOVERNOR CONTROLLED rpm and no adjustment?

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I agree pull the carb off and give it a good cleaning.

Also check the throttle cable it might be loose and and the whole cable moves

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
When you say "wide open, are you saying the engine is running FASTER than normal like 4,000 RPM or just maximum GOVERNOR CONTROLLED rpm and no adjustment?

No what he is saying is when he moves the throttle down to the pic of the turtle there is no change in RPMs.

Mow Joe

Threads
You don't say what engine you have, and it could be a number of things. One thing I would check and it's very easy, is the throttle shaft in the carburetor. I have seen them stick from long periods of non-use. If this is the problem, sometimes a shot of spray carb cleaner where the shaft meets the body will free it. It may not be the problem, but it can be a very easy fix if it is.

snapper1123

Forum Newbie
Threads
Im having the same problem. Just cleaned the carb but touched nothing else, now the thing runs so fast at half it sounds like a vacuum. I tried letting the throttle cable off a bit but still its running WAY too fast! Any help?

Mow Joe

Threads
With no engine info, you guys are going to have very little luck getting help with your problems.

snapper1123

Forum Newbie
Threads
It's a snapper rer, not sure of year. It has an 8hp Briggs, and a 390811 carb.