Original factory oil filter vs a replacement

Aquadisiac

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have yellow paint pens. I put the date and hours on the bottom of the filter before i put it on. Same on starters.
The same for me!
If I use a WIX Oil Filter, I write the date and hours on the filter with a Sharpie Pen. If I use an eXmark or Dealer filter, I use a yellow paint pen, because those filters are black! I even do the date and mileage on my oil filters on my vehicles. (a habit I got into when I hung out at a garage as a teenager!) But I also keep a little (3"x5") spiral notebook on each on each vehicle and write everything I do to them in them.

Skippydiesel

Threads
I'm with the respondents who don't replace their oil filters too often. I usually replace every second oil fill (even this is possibly to frequent). It would be diffrent for commercial high hour engines and for engine service providers who are pretty well obliged to go with a new filter every oil change.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The same for me!
If I use a WIX Oil Filter, I write the date and hours on the filter with a Sharpie Pen. If I use an eXmark or Dealer filter, I use a yellow paint pen, because those filters are black! I even do the date and mileage on my oil filters on my vehicles. (a habit I got into when I hung out at a garage as a teenager!) But I also keep a little (3"x5") spiral notebook on each on each vehicle and write everything I do to them in them.
Standard practice for me is to write the date / hours on the oil filter and also on the underside of the air filter with paint pens ( not sharpies )
So I know when they were replaced because while I do keep comprehensive records I do not keep customer cards either as paper or electronically .
SO when I do a service I can se when I last serviced the mower & go to the appropriate diary to see what was done last time .
I use a duplicate book to invoice customers so on the book I writ the date of the previous service

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Had a guy just the other day bring in a JD445 and said I serviced it 2 years ago. The oil filter said 2021 on it. When I showed him he was surprised.