Only if it’s primed

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
i have a 3HP b&s horizontal shaft on an edger that starts first pull also, i tell ya, its the seafoam i treat it with
Yep, Seafoam is the cure all. If it weren’t for Seafoam, I wouldn’t know what to do(sarcasm).

STEVES

Threads
heres what you can do, take a air compressor with a blower tip and fit it in the fuel line and press the handle to blow air while cranking the engine
What fuel line?? Carb mounted on tank!? Per previous posts.

Threads
Carb is still plugged up or you have a delaminated fuel line or filthy fuel tank. Maybe a clogged fuel filter.

Choke issue, definitely a lean/lack of fuel issue while starting. Fires off with spray.

Chinese Scamazon or OEM? New carb will need testing.

Chinese or OEM? New coil will require testing.

If this is a pulsa-jet type, normal ops.

Will require testing. New untested parts means nothing.

Using a car comp tester? Those read low on small engines. They have a large ID hose for such a small cylinder and a long hose which in this case, doesn't help. Might have a compression release doing its job??

Speculation time about low compression. Could be stuck rings from rust while sitting for 2 years. Carbon fouling ice berg chunks behind the valves holding a valve open. Maybe a valve seat came loose out of the block, again holding a valve open. Having NEVER decarbonized the cylinder/s per everyone's small engine manual. Valves needing adjusted. I would look here as this is an easy check. Not compression related but could have a sheared flywheel key??
Make sure choke baffle is closed when throtle is in choke position. Your throtle cable could have slipped.

sessman55

Threads
Your choke butterfly valve is not closing completely when the actuating lever is in full choke position. Needs a tweaking to be completely closed for cold start.

ChrisBFRPKY

Threads
Fiddler, I'd bet you need to lap the valves and reset the lash. One or both valves was likely up off the seat while it sat. The valve face will rust causing it not to seal up. That's probably where your compression is going. You can do a quick check by pulling the head and placing a thumb on top of each valve when they're closed if you can spin it, it needs to be lapped and the lash set. A tablespoon or two of MMO in the cylinder overnight wouldn't hurt either.

Old fiddler

Threads
Well, the solution was an improperly installed diaphragm in the NEW carburetor which was misaligned and had a fold in it.
I properly installed it, and after 4-5 pulls, it starts and runs strong.
Thank you for all your help on this.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Have you check the valve clearances. I know old L-heads are hard to start when the valve clearances approach zero.
Or in the case of a tecumseh engine several months ago, Negative clearance.