One jet fell out of the pickup tube

Poodlehead

Threads
MN: 407677 0258 E1

The last time the mower ran great and the next time I started it, the mower ran bad like it was starving for fuel.

I pulled the float bowl and found one of the two jets from the pickup tube in the bottom of the bowl along with the O-ring that seals between the float bowl and pickup tube.

I'm unable to find any parts breakdown showing the 2 small jets that go into the pickup tube so I'm looking for advice.

Do I just push the jet back in, replace the O-ring with one the same size(hopefully)?

Buy replacement O-ring from B&S? Are the jet O-rings available from B&S (can't find parts breakdown showing them)?

Buy aftermarket PU tube with what looks like to be the correct O-ring?

Buy replacement Nikki carb for less than $40?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240731-092836~2.png
    Screenshot_20240731-092836~2.png
    384.5 KB · Views: 48
  • PXL_20240731_003515332.jpg
    PXL_20240731_003515332.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 45
  • PXL_20240731_154631244.jpg
    PXL_20240731_154631244.jpg
    624.9 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Briggs only sells the jets with the o-rings, but not just the o-rings. And yes they are just pushed in. The o-ring is what holds them in place. Except with your version of the carb the larger o-ring also helps keep them in place.

Just go to either a JD or Kawasaki dealer and buy the o-rings. BUt more than just what you need as they are ting and easily blown away. Also don't mixthe jets up as they are different sizes.
1722442171058.png

Poodlehead

Threads
So if I go to JD and buy M153076 o-ring, I should be able to push my jet back in the correct spot of the pickup tube, then push my larger new o-ring up inside the pickup tube so it will hold the jets in place, and put the bowl back on? The o-ring shows to be in stock locally, so that will be great if it's that easy

If there is a gasket/o-ring between the bowl and carb base, would you please provide that PN as well? I think it might be B&S PN 690994, but the bowl looks different (no ears) in my parts breakdown

Thank you so much for your help!

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
What in your picture is the upgraded fuel bowl, the steel fuel is no longer available. The bowl gasket is the same one 690994. The replace bowl (798778) comes with the gasket and a new fuel solenoid. Many have been replaced as the steel bowl rusts up to where it is no longer usable.

Now the new bowl is pricey compared when I last brought them but just make me a lot more when I sell the ones I got.

Poodlehead

Threads
Thank you for the detailed info.
I just ordered both o-rings from JD. They show I should be able to pickup at the local dealer in a couple of hours. Hopefully that is the case...

Thanks again!

Forest#2

Threads
Here is a link to some info about your Nikki (Briggs) carb. How to ID which kit or parts you need.
The 2nd link is how to work on your carb.
Use the Briggs name when looking for part numbers on-line.

You tube video part 1: (newer style aluminum float bowl Nikki) USE KIT 54832 @ $7

I've found individual Nikki Briggs parts at a reasonable price at a place I stumbled onto called sawzillaparts.com and shipping is reasonable.
I've also found the itty bitty jet o-rings on flea bay in packages of 10 or more reasonable in bulk. Note in the video how to put the jet and o ring onto a paper clip so as for more user friendly operation. I use a small hollow shaft nut driver and a wire as a guide to press the jets back into place.

Pay attention to what star tech says about the aluminum bowl vs the steel bowl. They are different sized o rings (aluminum bowl vs steel bowl) and o rings from o ring kits will not get a go.

Last edited:

Poodlehead

Threads
Thank you so much for those excellent vids. Now I wished I had waited and bought this entire kit. It even has the jet o-rings, but...

I didn't make it to JD to pickup my parts today. Hopefully I'll get those tomorrow and get it back together.

I just checked out Sawzillaparts and I'm definitely adding it to the top of my supplier list.

Thank you!

Last edited:

Poodlehead

Threads
I picked up my parts today and have good and bad news. The bowl o-ring is correct, but the M153076 o-ring IS for the tiny jets. I got 2 of them so I'll use a new o-ring on the jet that fell out.

However, I still need the large O-ring that holds the jets in and seals the bowl.

Would anyone know what the PN is for the bigger o-ring that goes in the white pickup tube to hold the jets in place and seal the bowl? Or maybe I should just buy the 54832 kit that has that o-ring and others and be done with it?

Thank you for your time and help! I'm beginning to feel like I own a boat 😯

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Didn't ask for that PN.

Briggs 841653 / Kawasaki 92055-7016 should be the correct one.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Why does everyone like to bad mouth Nikki carbs? It is mainly because they just don't take time to understand them. I have no repairing the Nikki, Walbro, or others.

Nikki carbs are quite easy to repair once you understand how they are put together.

I very seldom have to replace a carburetor but there are exceptions especially when needle seats not available to replace leaky ones.