Onan Just Stops

rotten richard

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 16hp Onan powered Wheelhorse Tractor (416-H). The engine will start and run fine, then for no reason stop. This can happen within minutes of a cold start or may take an hour of running. The problem will occur if idling or running wide open, setting still or moving, hot or cold. When this happens the engine will start right back up and run fine until it decides to die again. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Oops.. I replied to your other post about this... saw it first.
Anyway..
"The Onan engines I have had all (at one time or another) had problems with fuel delivery... either from the tank or a blockage in the carb... I would look there first... KennyV"
:smile:KennyV

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a 16hp Onan powered Wheelhorse Tractor (416-H). The engine will start and run fine, then for no reason stop. This can happen within minutes of a cold start or may take an hour of running. The problem will occur if idling or running wide open, setting still or moving, hot or cold. When this happens the engine will start right back up and run fine until it decides to die again. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

The Onans are infamous for having this problem, the 18 hp one in my JD does exactly this. The cause is usually the ignition, cannot remember the exact part but I think it's called the coil pickup...do a Google search and you will find quite a few sources of information on this.