Onan 24hp twin engine, spitting gas out of top of carb when trying to start. Has a new carb. Will not start. What can cause this?

Threads
  • / Onan 24hp twin engine, spitting gas out of top of carb when trying to start. Has a new carb. Will not start. What can cause this?
Onan 24 hp twin cylinder verticle shaft. Gas spitting out top of carb when cranking to start. New carb, so float is not stuck. What can cause this?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / Onan 24hp twin engine, spitting gas out of top of carb when trying to start. Has a new carb. Will not start. What can cause this?
Valve stuck
Exhaust blocked
Blown head gasket

Bertrrr

Threads
In order for the guys to offer advise you need to post a little background information such as
how was it running prior to this , what did the exhaust look like ? Was there any odd noises while it ran,
was it getting hard to start over time ? How was the power , was it missing etc.

Threads
The owner of the machine was having problems starting it, so he put a new coil, carb, plugs, and new head gasket on one cylinder, then he said it ran fine. The last two times he used it ,it was getting hard to start, then he brought it to me. i thought the float in the carb was stuck and know that aftermarket carbs can be at times unreliable ,so i put a carb from a manufacturer i use a lot and have had good results with, but i know now its not the carb.

Forest#2

Threads
What is the Model, type and code of the engine?

The reason I ask for engine info is some spitting of gas back into the throat of a fast cranking small 4 cycle engine that won't start is normal thing on some engines and very misleading and cause one to get on the wrong page when trouble shooting the engine.
When seen the spit back is usually due to the compression release being on the intake valve/valves and when the carb throat/manifold is loaded up with gas it will spit some back gas the engine cranks fast.

Last edited:

srwa

Threads
Was it spitting or back firing out of the carb.?

Have a Briggs Vtwin 23 hp. that sheered a flywheel key. Replaced key, would not start, took brand new carb. off twice, reset armature clearance, reset valve lash. Would not start, kept back firing out of carb. Then it struck me, the beast is out of time.

Might want to check.