Older vs new Snapper Lawn mower

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
unless some can explain to me how to get to this bearing (7026693) for maintenance.
Look at the parts list. It will help you figure it out.

BTW that bearing (7026693) part number has changed. Now it's 707608.

jagg2236

Threads
There's a idler pulley on the "trans/diff" that gets lose or there's a bearing that goes bad & the belt lose's all tension. Problem is no one seems to have a "fix" (diagram, part #, etc) for this pulley.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
There's a idler pulley on the "trans/diff" that gets lose or there's a bearing that goes bad & the belt lose's all tension. Problem is no one seems to have a "fix" (diagram, part #, etc) for this pulley.
Just replace the pulley. Not a big deal.

anejohn

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi again
The mower made the trip to Samoa, re-assembled and runs great. Thanks for the comments. I did put the old idler pulley back on since it was still serviceable and brought a new spar along as well. I do wish I took the machine to a small engine or Snapper repair facility to check the throttle linkage and return spring. My return spring looks really worn but works. My question now is about the 00 grease and how much to fill the transmission. I was told not to over fill and to stop when the level is up to the gears, not flush with the fill hole. Sounds easy enough but it’s like putting pudding in a small hole. Rocking the mower back and fourth helps draw in the grease down but it’s difficult to determine the level. Attached are a couple of photos.
thx! 🌴

Attachments

• IMG_6801.jpeg
    IMG_6801.jpeg
    30.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6799.jpeg
    IMG_6799.jpeg
    657.8 KB · Views: 2

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just fill it till you see the gears slinging it around as you pull up back and forth. Yup 00 grease is like pudding. Flows but not too thin enough to leak out. Now having said that in these older machines it will leak out some.

It's best if you take the transmission apart and slather her down with a brush and some Diesel. Get all the grit and trash out of the bottom of the case. Then refill with some 00.

You know what, since these parts are no longer made, I would NOT open it up and clean her out. Just fill her up as you did. She will go another 50 years easy.

Check that 00 once a year. Only takes a few seconds.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Liquid grease ( 0 -00 - 000 ) is generally filled to just below the joint line in the cases so it won't ( yea right ) leak out when not in use.
Being thin the gear will pick it up and throw it all over the place.
Axel grease ( bentonite ) is filled to the top because being thick it does not flow inside the box
It also gets picked up and tossed to the roof where it sits in great gooey globs till vibrations & gravity cause it to fall into the gear when it get distributed between them and the excess gets toss back up to the roof and this process continues till enough of the suspension medium ( usually oil ) evaporated and the grease goes hard .

The bulk of common home greases are particles of compounds that have a flat structure held in suspension by a liquid of some sort.
So you can get graphite grease as a dry powder that you puff into key slots , graphite suspended in water , graphite suspended in oil , graphite suspended in fat .

anejohn

Forum Newbie
Threads
I’ve been working on a “short cut” app to reduce the sizes of these photos to post here which has been giving me grief. I think I have a better handle on it now and below is the photo of the spring, governor & carburetor assembly I mentioned earlier. I had no clue the Briggs & Stratton incorporated a governor. Any comments or recommendations?
Thx

Attachments

• IMG_6822.jpeg
    IMG_6822.jpeg
    194.8 KB · Views: 10

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yup, your springs are messed up. Should be able to fine small springs and make the linkage work. Clever person like yourself should be ok.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I’ve been working on a “short cut” app to reduce the sizes of these photos to post here which has been giving me grief. I think I have a better handle on it now and below is the photo of the spring, governor & carburetor assembly I mentioned earlier. I had no clue the Briggs & Stratton incorporated a governor. Any comments or recommendations?
Thx
That white spring on the left is allllll stretched out. You can see white paint flakes on it at the bottom side of the picture. Can tell someone stretched the crap out of it.

And the governor spring. The smaller shock absorber like spring doesn't look like it goes where it is on the throttle. I can't tell. That gov spring has been played with as well.