Older vs new Snapper Lawn mower

anejohn

Forum Newbie
Threads
I’m looking at buying an older self propelled commercial Snapper mower with a Briggs & Stratton 5Hp engine with a sticker saying “Cast Iron Sleeve”. I don’t know the date it was manufactured but I think they are better machines but concerned if it breaks I will not be able get parts. Considering the new disposable machines corporations sell us today I think the machines manufactured prior to the 90’s were better built. Any thoughts or concerns I should be aware of when purchasing an older model Snapper or, what problems to look for when I inspect this machine?

Attachments

• D69F94C7-A33D-43C2-9C5D-246620D7B9BD.jpeg
    D69F94C7-A33D-43C2-9C5D-246620D7B9BD.jpeg
    546.4 KB · Views: 21

anejohn

Forum Newbie
Threads
I’m looking at buying an older self propelled commercial Snapper mower with a Briggs & Stratton 5Hp engine with a sticker saying “Cast Iron Sleeve”. I don’t know the date it was manufactured but I think they are better machines but concerned if it breaks I will not be able get parts. Considering the new disposable machines corporations sell us today I think the machines manufactured prior to the 90’s were better built. Any thoughts or concerns I should be aware of when purchasing an older model Snapper or, what problems to look for when I inspect this machine?
Followup on the Snapper mower, I bought it. Starts, idles and runs at both fast and slow settings fine. A little white smoke from the exhaust but it’s been sitting in a garage (one owner) most of its life. The model number is 21500PC and he said he bought in the 80’s.
The drive belt and cutch belt which are probably original. I can attach photos if needed. Would someone have a part number and maybe a maintenance manual download link I could reference. Or any pointers on the correct tension these belts operate with?

thx

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
That is a Commercial Snapper mower with a stout as heck Briggs engine. Keeper for sure.

Just read on the tag. That is a 206cc engine. Never knew Briggs made anything larger than 190cc's on a push mower. I'm drooling now....... What a machine.

Snapper always topped their mowers off with the most heavy duty engines one could find.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Would someone have a part number and maybe a maintenance manual download link I could reference
What are you looking to fix on it?
Or any pointers on the correct tension these belts operate with?
Should be an idler pulley that auto tensions the belt. If you take pics of the top side of the deck all around I can help further.

Your kids great great grandchildren will be mowing with that.

So far that is a Commercial Snapper series 0 mower. Built like no other. Wonder if some valve seals would stop that smoke you mentioned at startup?

Same bullet proof transmission. I would top off the fluid with 00 grade grease. Every Snapper push mower I buy is about a full quart low.

1056828.jpg

Last edited:

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
And let's not forget that Commercial grade 206cc engine. I never knew Briggs had any larger than 190cc's for push mowers. That thing must be a monster.

I would look at the valves and clean the cooling fins for sure. What a treasure.

anejohn

Forum Newbie
Threads
That is a Commercial Snapper mower with a stout as heck Briggs engine. Keeper for sure.

Just read on the tag. That is a 206cc engine. Never knew Briggs made anything larger than 190cc's on a push mower. I'm drooling now....... What a machine.

Snapper always topped their mowers off with the most heavy duty engines one could find.
That mower is on the way to Samoa now to maintain a property I have there. It rains a lot so grass can certainly get away from you in a hurry. After seeing this Snapper I thought it perfect for the job. It’s now out fitted with new bearings, drive belts, engine & 00 transmission oil etc.
I do have an additional question regarding the assembly drive #7600109YP. I attached photos of the one that came with the machine. The local Snapper rep. here said they had never seen this version. It does not have a “snap ring” which allows you to get to the bearing to replace it for on going maintenance. At least it’s not visible that we could see. I purchased a new assembly as a spare since the bearing was serviceable on this one shown and only changed the rubber disc. Once the bearing runs out I’ll install the replacement assembly unless some can explain to me how to get to this bearing (7026693) for maintenance.
Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 9AEAFD91-BFBF-4CA4-968E-62617F58660C.jpeg
    9AEAFD91-BFBF-4CA4-968E-62617F58660C.jpeg
    49.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 07EF64A6-F0BD-4F4C-8FFA-259466E746EA.jpeg
    07EF64A6-F0BD-4F4C-8FFA-259466E746EA.jpeg
    96.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 8F6D6A8B-D962-4281-9A16-3106C92FC6D8.jpeg
    8F6D6A8B-D962-4281-9A16-3106C92FC6D8.jpeg
    93.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 22515001-BBF8-4AA4-A214-18FEC9CB55F4.jpeg
    22515001-BBF8-4AA4-A214-18FEC9CB55F4.jpeg
    116.5 KB · Views: 11

upupandaway

Threads
but concerned if it breaks I will not be able get parts.

Of the ones I have come across, the only parts that break on your mower is wheel bearings(rust)- if your wheels have them(they are at Home Depot for $10). There is also the few rubber parts like belt and drive wheel. That is normal after many years.
The other spinning parts I have come across here and there that needed a new bearing but thing is- they were all neglected mowers so take care of yours and you may be giving it to your kids before needing to replace parts.
If, God help us, you ever do need\want other parts like handle or gear box, Snapper(Briggs) still does make these mowers so 90% of the parts are still available. Things like the speed shift at the top of the handle is no longer made(it's been moved\removed) but people toss these mowers since they were made 60's to present, so u could get NLA parts that way. For example, currently, someone local is selling their 80's Snapper for $25.

Like slomo said- they are built like tanks.

Last edited:

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
The transmission rubber drive disks I think, are now NLA. Some one else might confirm this. I had to get a couple of Stens just for back up recently.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Your Series 0 drive is different than the newer one's I familiar with. Yours has that black plastic cover piece over the drive disk.

I think you are talking about part 23 and 22.

1682702514955.png