Old Gal Needs A New Mower

Harriet

Threads
I'll be 73 next month and my grandchildren keep telling me I should let them take over the mowing. I tell them that I got to be 72 because I stay physical by doing things like the mowing and I'm not about to stop now! They would like to purchase me a new, light weight electric mower----what's a good one?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
A little old :wink: lady I know mows her lawn regularly....
She is 86, she prefers a gas mower to an electric... She has a self propelled electric start, walk behind... Her lawn is the best trimmed on her whole block....

I think if I were you, Id look at the self propelled gas models, they don't have to be real light... but they are very handy... :smile:KennyV

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
It sounds like you have some nice grand kids.

Have you considered a cordless electric mower? I've heard that's the fastest growing market segment for mowers. Here's a list I found that compares several models.

I remember using my mother's Sunbeam electric mower -- one she bought, I'm guessing, in the late 1970s -- it lasted more than 20 years. It was very light but not too powerful; if the grass was tall or wet it was very slow. My biggest complaint about it was the cord. I spent more time fiddling with the cord than the actual mowing. Cordless would have been a big plus even if it weighed more and cost more -- the battery will almost certainly add to the cost and weight.