Old engine manufactored 1964. Model number 82902 - No spark / fuel

Threads
  • / Old engine manufactored 1964. Model number 82902 - No spark / fuel
Was given this engine and was told it ran less than a year ago. it doesn't run.

Here is some brief information:

1. I checked the resistance on the coil and seems to be within specs per a YouTube video I saw. However, I should recheck it. Please advice on the best way to do this.
2. When the cord is pulled, there is no fuel that seems to be going into the carburetor.
3. Spark plug is new.
4. I sprayed starter fluid in to the carburetor and into the engine through the spark plug hole. Nothing.
5. I checked the wires and seem to be connected well.

I have worked on cars all my life but have never spent much time working on a small engine. I don't want to bring it to a shop unless I absolutely have to. I also don't want to start buying parts (i.e., coil) unless I am absolutely certain it needs it.

If you feel pictures of the engine may help, just say so and I will post some.

Thanks.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Spark, Fuel, compression, and timing and it will run. Just sitting here and making a guess I would say replace the points and condenser.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Condensors used on mowers have a finite life and that is measured in time , not running time they go bad sitting on the shelf so forget NOS and as for the most common one.
Points oxidise on the contact faces , just the same as with old cars but the power available from a magnet will not overcome the oxide so they will need a clean.
Timing is fairly well fixed by the flywheel key
And just like an ols auto engine, valves can corrode just enough to cause them to hang.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Most often starter fluid sprayed in the carb or spark plug hole is so far from the correct air fuel ratio one can't expect a spark plug to fire that ratio.

Threads
Here come the stupid questions from me. Where are the points and condenser located?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Figured it out.

What are the part number for the points and condenser if I need to buy?

Thanks.

Comes as a unit on the older Briggs engines. 294628 condenser and breaker assembly. Part of the points are made into the condenser and not connected with a wire.