Okay where did the Weirdos comes from...

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I have been tasting bugs for the last week but not by choice. Darn Asian beetles are covering up my place, that and the stinkbugs. Those Asian beetles bites. They are harvesting soybeans here. Next will be the Boxelder bugs as the trees are shedding their leaves now. I am fighting a losing war with them.

At least my chickens have the stink bugs under control. Nothing seen to want the Asian beetles or the Boxelder bugs. Both appear to be poisonous. But I had to de-chicken one of my customer's vehicles yesterday. They were all under his front end bug eating.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
We got the stink bugs and box elders here now. Just about time for the spiders to be everywhere in the house too.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Foods today (aside from our personal gardens) here, have so much salt in them that my mrs quit buying any salt..

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
And the store brought produce has been so bad lately that salt is the only way to get to taste half way right. It getting to where their is nothing buying at the grocery stores. But maybe things are changing a little as I finally getting potatoes that don't start rotting two days after I get home with them.

As process foods I can agree they have too much added salt. It takes me a long time to shop as I have find ones that the least amount of salt in them.

I was asked the other day to taste a neighbor potato salad and he had it as salty as the store brand. Maybe it just may taste since I have been on this low/no salt diet that made taste too salty.

I also had to quit buying sausage biscuits at Hardee's because the amount salt used in the biscuits was burning my throat.

Also the way grocery stores have raised their prices has cause me to completely change my buying habits which is probably good for my health.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You really need to get some good books on using herbs & spices
Potatoes for instance are great with Red Pepper (although it can be hard to find so now I grow my own )
The 4 peppers white, green , red & black usually only seen in pepper sauce mix have totally different flavours.
Cinnamon & / or paprika on pumpkin yum
I nuke most of my veggies so each one can be spiced individually then keep them in the fridge in glass jars for a week r so.
Sauces come from the "Healthy Heart" cook book , made in bulk then frozen in single serve sizes for thawing latter
I have been on a low salt diet ever since moving out with my girlfriend back in 1978 as her father had a bad ticker so her whole family was low salt ( low sodium to be specific ).
I also grow 5 different garlic varieties and 4 onions plus 3 shallots ( spring onions to some )

The down side is resturant food now tastes just salty and bland as I am used to the real flavour of veggies and not the bland taste less store bought "pretty" veggies

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Plenty of red pepper flakes and ground cayenne pepper. Today I got a large box of black pepper. And I got a half cabinet of other spices. I seem to be hitting the five spice the most. I going to try baking some chicken breasts wrap in banana leaves and see how that goes flavor wise. I got garlic coming out my ears. Oh not actually but plenty out in the garden.

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm spoiled from our home grown stuff.. The mrs has the green thumb, I am only to till the soil in prep for planting.
And we just got a 1/4 full loader bucket of cow manure delivered. Got that all down, before the rains.. Our neighbor is commercial dairy farmer, 6th generation..
If he asks if you want a dozen ears of his "special corn". He will usually give like 38 ears or so.. Than lets us go pick his stash patch.
Mrs makes him banana nut, & zucchini bread. He loves them..

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
There is nothing like home grown produce. It just I by myself now and business takes all my spare time but I still planting fruit trees. The apple tree had fruited this year but the weather got them.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
My pie is better than your pie.
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I just added to my list the things it takes to make a chocolate and a pecan pie. My first attempt. Wish me luck.
I'm gonna need it. I can make meringue like no bodies business. 4" minimum.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have been tasting bugs for the last week but not by choice. Darn Asian beetles are covering up my place, that and the stinkbugs. Those Asian beetles bites. They are harvesting soybeans here. Next will be the Boxelder bugs as the trees are shedding their leaves now. I am fighting a losing war with them.

At least my chickens have the stink bugs under control. Nothing seen to want the Asian beetles or the Boxelder bugs. Both appear to be poisonous. But I had to de-chicken one of my customer's vehicles yesterday. They were all under his front end bug eating.

I notices several of those asian beetles too. On the sunny side of my house by the chimney. This was when I was fighting red wasps. Which I've been doing all year long. Darn it I've fought red wasp more this year than I ever have. Every crack and crevice.
There's an abandoned saw mill behind the house that has 1 million places the red wasps could nest. But nooooo, they gotta come to my place.