OK to use synthetic oil ?

jcworks

Threads
My TORO zero turn mower has Kawasaki 23 hp engine. 270 hours on it. 10 Years old. Been using CASTROL 10w30 or 20w50 in it, conventional oil. I've been thinking about maybe running synthetic in it this spring. Heck, everything else seems to be running ir. Got any thoughts on that anyone? I don't think I'd want to go down to 5w30 and don't know if synthetic comes in 10w30 or some such.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I'd recommend Kawasaki K-TECH, it's synthetic blend and is formulated for small air cooled engines. I service several commercial Z turns with well over 3K hours on the clock with it. since new....
If you're dead set with full synthetic, i'd look no further than Amsoils 10w30 small engine oil https://www.amsoil.com/p/amsoil-10w-30-100-synthetic-small-engine-oil-ase/

Aquadisiac

Forum Newbie
Threads
My TORO zero turn mower has Kawasaki 23 hp engine. 270 hours on it. 10 Years old. Been using CASTROL 10w30 or 20w50 in it, conventional oil. I've been thinking about maybe running synthetic in it this spring. Heck, everything else seems to be running ir. Got any thoughts on that anyone? I don't think I'd want to go down to 5w30 and don't know if synthetic comes in 10w30 or some such.

My 2017 eXmark Radius S zero turn has a Kohler engine on it. My manual says it can use either regular 10W-30 engine oil or fully synthetic 10W-30 engine oil. I have used both (not together).
I decided that from now on it will only get full synthetic oils. No reason other than it is getting harder to find a non synthetic oil.
I have only used the stated grade of 10W-30 oils and will continue to do that, just full synthetic from here on out.
I change my oil and filter after my last mowing of the year and sharpen my blades and lube the chassis, then it’s ready for action come springtime.

rhiebert

Threads
Back in the day when I had small equipment like that, ie. rototiller, etc. I would put the used AMSOIL from my half-ton in them but when AMSOIL's "Small engine synthetic" became available it was a no-brainer.

Attachments

• AMSOIL Small Engine Oil.jpg
    AMSOIL Small Engine Oil.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 11

Oddjob

Threads
Not exactly on point, but worth noting when talking about using synthetic oil: The conventional dinosaur stuff works better for breaking in new rings. Otherwise, I only use synthetic.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Not exactly on point, but worth noting when talking about using synthetic oil: The conventional dinosaur stuff works better for breaking in new rings. Otherwise, I only use synthetic.
Tell that to the equipment manufacturers that use synthetic straight from the factory in new equipment. Kohler dealers don't even receive conventional oil from their distributors anymore. The conventional Kohler 10w30 supercedes to the full synthetic version.

Lawn Addict
Threads
New Corvettes same way.. Full Syn from day 1.

Glades Cat

Threads
Motor oil is always a slippery subject.
It’s a crude, but necessary topic and Oil-ways welcome here.
No room for synthetic conversation on this matter.
The best way to find the truth about oil is to drill through surface chaff.
Most oil company’s failure comes from losing their liquid assets.
Remember...we ain’t fracking lying here.

Oddjob

Threads
Motor oil is always a slippery subject.
It’s a crude, but necessary topic and Oil-ways welcome here.
No room for synthetic conversation on this matter.
The best way to find the truth about oil is to drill through surface chaff.
Most oil company’s failure comes from losing their liquid assets.
Remember...we ain’t fracking lying here.
Got lubricated on Christmas Eve? Thanks for the highly refined comment, Glades Cat, and Merry ChrIstmas to everyone.