Oily Spark Plug

Richie F

Threads
Could I re-hone the cylinder and fit slightly oversize piston rings that can be bought?
Hone the cylinder again and get standard piston rings.
A ball hone will do just fine.
You don't need a rigid hone that was shown above.
This isn't a 3 second top fuel engine.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
If he is going to just deglaze and install new rings all he needs is a ball hone. If he is going to fit an oversize piston and rings he will need a rigid type hone

Richie F

Threads
If he is going to just deglaze and install new rings all he needs is a ball hone. If he is going to fit an oversize piston and rings he will need a rigid type hone
Man if you going to fit an oversized piston/ring with a rigid hone you better have a machine to do it.
That means the cylinder wall has taper in it and you have to get it out for it to be true again.
Sunnen makes a machine to do it. It's called wet honing.
Again, it's a lawnmower engine. Not NASA.

Shorter Grass

Threads
Man if you going to fit an oversized piston/ring with a rigid hone you better have a machine to do it.
That means the cylinder wall has taper in it and you have to get it out for it to be true again.
Sunnen makes a machine to do it. It's called wet honing.
Again, it's a lawnmower engine. Not NASA.

I take you point - no oversize rings. I will do a deglaze and fit new standard rings

lefty2cox

Threads
The oil was drained from the engine before I took the head off. Oil has seeped past the cylinder as it sat.
I may have not followed this correctly. You drained the old oil, installed new oil and then ran the machine? Then it sat overnight? Or did you just install new oil and then let it sit overnight? If the latter, wouldn't that mean too much was put in or the engine was tilted?

Has a leak down test been done? I'm new and not as adept at diagnosing off symptoms alone. Usually, I start with that to try to narrow things down.

Shorter Grass

Threads
I may have not followed this correctly. You drained the old oil, installed new oil and then ran the machine? Then it sat overnight? Or did you just install new oil and then let it sit overnight? If the latter, wouldn't that mean too much was put in or the engine was tilted?

Has a leak down test been done? I'm new and not as adept at diagnosing off symptoms alone. Usually, I start with that to try to narrow things down.

I drained the oil and did not add new oil. The engine sat with the head off and the cylinder has a puddle of oil in it. Ovbiously it has seeped from the cylinder to the front of the piston.

I have not done a leak down test but can do this though I am fairly convinced that my piston/clinder/rings are the issue.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a Wisconsin Robin with stuck/dead rings. It too will pass a small trail of oil in front of the piston into the combustion chamber, head off.

I would throw a new Chinese engine on it and call it good. Home mechanic messing with the aluminum bore is only a band-aid in my opinion. Some of you other guys could probably make it work just fine.

slomo

Shorter Grass

Threads
I have a Wisconsin Robin with stuck/dead rings. It too will pass a small trail of oil in front of the piston into the combustion chamber, head off.

I would throw a new Chinese engine on it and call it good. Home mechanic messing with the aluminum bore is only a band-aid in my opinion. Some of you other guys could probably make it work just fine.

slomo

I have rebuilt engines before and am an engineer so will get it sorted, in fact I'm even more determined after reading what you have written lol.