Oil pump o-ring leak...

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I am suspecting the threads on that bolt this is leaking have been overtorqued and has pulled the threads leaving a ridge that is allowing oil to seep around that area.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You will probably find a crack in the oil pump boss caused by the pushrod
As it is coming into mowing season, live with it for now just make sure you check the oil every time you mow and every time you fill the tank while mowing

LeakyBriggs

Threads
You will probably find a crack in the oil pump boss caused by the pushrod
As it is coming into mowing season, live with it for now just make sure you check the oil every time you mow and every time you fill the tank while mowing
As you can see, probably not an option. I don't have an "annoyance leak" where there are a couple of drops on the garage floor after mowing for an hour and putting away. This is after roughly 60 seconds and there is more on the towel below.

Tip for anyone, this is Leakfinder Dye LF2001 for oil based systems if needed. My area is clean, visible, and accessible enough that you don't need the glasses or light. You might with your issue though.

I do have another mower that is in good working order and being used. If there are no other ideas, guess I'll be looking to take it apart, flip it over, and replace the pan.

Anyone have that part number and/or a recommended supplier?

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Leaky....

Attachments

• Briggs Oil Pump Leak Edit.jpg
    Briggs Oil Pump Leak Edit.jpg
    313.7 KB · Views: 6

LeakyBriggs

Threads
Update for anyone interested.....

I drained the oil, unbolted and raised the engine in place, took the plate off and cleaned all oil pretty thoroughly everywhere around the pump plate contact area with carburetor cleaner.

Put Permatex High Temperature RV "Red" gasket maker more liberally around the plate outside of the o-ring area AND also put some on each of the 3 mounting bolts. Put it all together and let dry 24 hours.
Ran it the next day at full throttle for 60 seconds. Shut it down, no leaks.
Let it completely cool.
Ran it for a couple of minutes at full throttle. No leaks.
Let it completely cool. No leaks.
Mowed with it about 30 minutes. Checked again. No leaks.
Checked it once more after completely cooling. No leaks.
😄

Think bertsmobile is probably right with a crack somewhere in the front most bolt thread boss that allows oil through. Why I put caulk on the bolts. (I know, I know, will be a b!tch if ever needed to remove.)
But I rationale that the next step was to replace the bottom pan & associated parts/gaskets to fix it right and this is the first time it's ever been apart since new. (15 years at least)

Thanks for all that followed & offered input. It is greatly appreciated.

And now I've found a pretty good crack on the deck and got to start researching how to weld that! :oops:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thank you for the heads up .
With a bit of luck we will never find the actual problem as you won't need to touch it again.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Glad you got it repaired. hopefully you won't have to deal with it again.