Oil measurement question

tom_l

Forum Newbie
I have a 1994 Briggs 18hp opposed twin engine (model 422707, type 1263-01, code 9403045B) on a Huskee garden tractor and am unclear on the correct oil measurement method. The manual states that 48 oz is the oil capacity for an engine without a filter, and 56 oz for one with a filter. It also states to place the dipstick in the oil feed tube to measure the oil level, but does not state to thread it snug and remove to read the level. The tractor engine has no filter, so 48 oz should fill the sump to the Full line on the dipstick. However when I follow the manual instruction to measure the oil level after an oil change, 48 oz raises the oil level to the Add mark at the bottom of the crosshatch area on the dipstick. When the dipstick is fully threaded down, 48 oz measures at the Full mark on the top of the crosshatch area. I do not want to run it on low oil or in the alternative use too much oil. Which measuring method is correct for this engine? Is 48 oz the correct amount of oil when it lacks an oil filter?
Thank you for any assistance.
 
you are going to get many conflicting answers on this. Many dipsticks that screw in have a notch that allows a bump on the dipstick to drop into before it begins being screwed in. I line that up and let the dipstick bump drop into the notch but do not turn it. I keep a clean rag or paper towel ready to clean it and do it again, making sure both times agree. Sometimes it helps to turn the dipstick over to see an accurate level.
 
It’s kind of odd.
My experience is Briggs you screw in to check the oil.
Honda is you do not typically screw the dipstick in. This allows a bit more oil to read full.
Kohler is you do not typically screw the dipstick in. Again, it allows a bit more oil to read full.

I think 48 oz is a good starting point. Would I be good to add the 48 oz, check it without screwing it in and filling til mid way across the cross hatches-ABSOLUTELY

Hope my answer helps?
 
Back
Top