Oil Leak

mekelly

Threads
I own a Craftsman rider with the following Briggs and Stratton engine:

Briggs and Stratton I/C Gold 13HP
Model: 28M707
Type: 0142-01
Code: 9507194A

It's leaking oil. Possibly from both the sump pump gasket and shaft seal. I need to clean it up and try to pinpoint exactly where it's leaking.

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the service manual for this engine?

It looks like a fairly easy job to replace that seal and gasket (at least from the research I've done so far).

Is it an easy job (I am pretty mechanically inclined and have done a lot of work on my cars (replace A/C system, power steering pump, wheel bearings, water pump, etc.).

Thanks in advance!!!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
:welcome:

Your motor is a flat head and has no oil pump so you can rule that out.
Go to the Briggs web site / support / manuals then type in your engine number and download the parts book.
Most common oil leak is from the grommet on the dip stick tube.
They are a service replacement item.
Next on the hit list is the breather gasket which hides behind the carburettor.
Followed by the head gasket
and lastly the out put shaft seal.

Usually fuel leaks through the crab, fills up the crankcase with fuel, diluting the oil which then gets expelled from any weak point.
Overfilling will cause oil to leak from the grommet.

Just started to happen ?
Been getting slowly worse till you top up the fuel and fill the oil ?

Becareful rplacing the sump gaskets on these engines as the gaskets arer used to adjust the end float of the crank which is why they come in sets of varying thicknesses.

mekelly

Threads
Bertsmobile1, thanks for the detailed response!

It turns out the leak is coming from the sump gasket but several of the bolts were loose. I tightened those up and ran the mower for 15 minutes to heat and thin the oil.

There was only the smallest hint of oil in one spot by the gasket after running the mower (would barely be visible on a rag if wiped up).

So, not a perfect fix but a heck of a lot easier, quicker, and cheaper than replacing the sump gasket.

Hopefully, it holds as I know this isn't a permanent fix, but I am a happy camper now!

Thanks again!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Bertsmobile1, thanks for the detailed response!

It turns out the leak is coming from the sump gasket but several of the bolts were loose. I tightened those up and ran the mower for 15 minutes to heat and thin the oil.

There was only the smallest hint of oil in one spot by the gasket after running the mower (would barely be visible on a rag if wiped up).

So, not a perfect fix but a heck of a lot easier, quicker, and cheaper than replacing the sump gasket.

Hopefully, it holds as I know this isn't a permanent fix, but I am a happy camper now!

Thanks again!

Good news,
Mow on and enjoy life
I have Kohlers with crack running the length of the crankcase, we just keep puttying them up and the owner just keeps on putting oil in there till the engine goes bang.
I thought it might go a season or so but number 4 has just rolled by.
Just don't tell the EPA :laughing:

Tinkerer200

Threads
I own a Craftsman rider with the following Briggs and Stratton engine:

Briggs and Stratton I/C Gold 13HP
Model: 28M707
Type: 0142-01
Code: 9507194A

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the service manual for this engine?

Thanks in advance!!!

I can send you a Service Manual for you engine IF you like, address below, put in proper format and remind me engine model number and what you want.

Walt Conner
wconner5 at frontier dot com