Export thread

Oil filter options for the Yamaha engine?

B

BigBlueEdge

Anyone have a better ability than me to find a cross-reference to this Yamaha small engine oil filter from a major brand? It's a pretty standard sized filter so I'm certain it has to have a compatible cross-reference. I just couldn't come up with anything in my search.

YAMAHA 7UD-E3440-00

It's for a Yamaha MX825V-EFI gas engine which is found on a lot of power equipment, including a bunch of zero-turn mowers. My need is for my Bad Boy Rogue.

I found a list of cross-reference to other mower brands' filters but haven't had any luck getting any of these to something common like Fram, Wix, K&N, Mobil1, Napa, etc.

REPLACES
BAD BOY: 015-0053-02
EXMARK: 120-4276, 126-5234, 127-9222, 1367848
GRAVELY: 21563100
OIL FILTER: WS-5234
TORO: 120-4276, 126-5234, 127-9222, 136-7848
YAMAHA: 7UD-E3440-00

Thanks,
Rob

B

bertsmobile1

Stens filter
Well the part number on the Stens web page brought up their filter which interchanges will all of these OEM part numbers
If you are looking for aftermarket mower parts the FIRST PLACE you look is the companies who supply guaranteed quality after market parts for mowers not Amazon where most vendors would not know a mower from a rolling mill .
AFAIK Still made in the USA ( Mexico ? ) by Champion.
IF they are not cheap enough for you then time to sell the plot & register for the pension.

B

BigBlueEdge

Thanks! How did you find that Stens page? It never came up in all the searching I did with the Bad Boy, Yamaha, Gravely or Exmark parts numbers.

And no, I typically wouldn't go to Amazon for something like this because for auto parts of this type they usually are much higher than local stores. My Bad Boy dealer (who is also a Yamaha dealer) charged me just under $15 for the filter, which isn't too bad, but I figured I could find them from other major makers for under $10. We'll see. Maybe the Yamaha part is the best price?

Rob

ETA: Well, that Stens part is only $8 at Amazon, so maybe it isn't a bad place for this after all.

B

bertsmobile1

No it won't
Use "after market mower parts " and it should come up along with Prime Line , Rotary & Oregon .
Don't know who the others get to make their filters .

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Seeing how that stens filter crosses to Kawasaki 49065-0724 and Kawasaki 49065-0724 crosses to Wix, take your pick.. AFAIK Kawasaki filters are made by fram. (Kaw 0724 is the latest supercession, from 7010, and 2065, which cross directly with the 51394, which is what i use)
Wix 51394 is $4.00 at Rock auto online, $9 at O'reilly auto.
1622908969536.png

B

Born2Mow

Look for oil filter specification charts.
  1. Match the filter thread. Lots are 3/4-10 UNC, but not all.
  2. Then match the by-pass pressure rating
  3. Then match (or improve on) the micron rating of the filter material

B

BigBlueEdge

Thanks for the tips! That's the info I was hoping to find.

Rob

B

Born2Mow

Rob -
Thanks for the reply. Really appreciated. So few people take the time to say 'thanks'.

L

lugbolt

I know I ain't gonna change anyone's minds, but ask yourself why aftermarket companies have cross references? Because the OEM doesn't have a cross reference-because the aftermarket has decided to make a filter that "will fit" a bunch of different engines, but may or may not work correctly on all of them.

I just buy several at a time. When I get down to one, put in another order. Lot less headache.

IIRC that 7UD filter is the same one that's used on some Yamaha generators and inverters so if you have a gen/inverter dealer near you, should be able to get the filter.

B

bertsmobile1

OEM companies no longer provide the specifications for a lot of things to encourage the owners to use OEM branded replacement parts for obvious reasons .
Most small engines use the same oil pump and have the same oil flows so use essentially the same oil filter.
I keep 4 filters , briggs long & short & Honda large & small because we get a lot of metric engines down here .
The difference between 25µ and 28µ is less than the variation in the raw filter media
In the 8 years of operation I have yet to find a filter that was running on bypass and drain back is only a problem on Vanguards where the filter is upside down & at 40 deg.
You just need to keep telling yourself, these are the most basic engines it is possible to build little changed in 100 years .

B

Born2Mow

Agreed. Besides making the parts sale, the big makers have a vested interest in having the customer re-visit their dealer's Parts Dept every 6 months. There they'll see the latest models and think... "Gosh, the new models are great and have new features I could use. And my mower has been running a bit rough." So the dealer makes a sale they didn't have to pay for a radio ad to get.

I worked in a big corporate Marketing Dept for 5 years ($2 billion in sales in 1 year) and you would not believe the level of sophistication now used to get you to buy a newer product. Even going as far as hidden pictures in the print ads.

This is why I don't subscribe to hobby or industry magazines, or watch videos on YouTube.

cpurvis

cpurvis

The most effective way to get you to buy a newer product that does the same function is to discontinue critical repair parts for the old model.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

The most effective way to get you to buy a newer product that does the same function is to discontinue critical repair parts for the old model.
that's why they sell JB Weld, Gorilla tape and zip ties. ;)

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

Back in the day job we had very profitable machines on service contracts that we had to end of life because a vendor quit making a unique part. An example was Ames Rubber made a very specific rubber coated roller for a machine. They stopped production and destroyed the tooling. Told us part was not profitable enough. That one part affected about 50,000 machines in the national fleet. The part was a wear item. Cost the company millions when we had to cancel contracts and return money. Then say "Hey, buy something else from us."
Many times it is not the equipment manufacturer but a vendor that causes spares to not be available.

B

bertsmobile1

Back in the day job we had very profitable machines on servive contracts that we had to end of life because a vendor quit making a unique part. An example was Ames Rubber made a very specific rubber coated roller for a machine. They stopped production and destroyed the tooling. Told us part was not profitable enough. That one part affected about 50,000 machines in the national fleet. The part was a wear item. Cost the company millions when we had to cancel contracts and return money. Then say "Hey, buy something else from us."
Many times it is not the equipment manufacturer but a vendor that causes spares to not be available.
Funny you should say that as it happened to the copier I used to own.
The Ames roller, thick it was the fixing roller was NLA and the machine sat idle for over a year till a pin ball mechanic friend saw it and put me onto a mob who did custom roller repairs and they recoated the roller .
Not as good as the original as double sided copies used to stick to it some times but we did squeeze another 3 year out of the machine .
I was at college at the time & we used to do copying for the public via the local newsagent as in those days the only public accessible copiers were in libraries & you have to ask the librarian to do the copying for you .
Such a long time ago & now I could print out an encyclopedia from my desktop .

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

Yup, same kind of roller for a copier.

B

Born2Mow

I worked at a Honda dealership and they begged us to buy their computer system for our Parts Dept. The sales pitch was that we could get parts "faster".

As soon as the system was installed, Honda started buying back parts for machines older than 5 years. Owners would come in to get common, small wearing parts and Honda would show them as not available anywhere in the US. The customer was left with no option but to buy a new machine.

M

MParr

WIX SL10239
NAPA Gold 400239
FRAM PH4967 TG4967 XG4967
STP S4967