Oh no, slate!

Smartaleck

Threads
My sister has just had her lawn dug up and covered the whole area with blue slate! She didn't tell me until after she did it and I can understand why she did it as pushing a mower is hard for her at her age but I'd rather have a lovely lush green garden outside my window than an ugly blue slate one, wouldn't you?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Absolutely .... But then I love mowing... :smile:KennyV

Rose

Threads
I admit I had never heard of using slate for landscaping. It seems very strange to me. Slate is so brittle and breaks or cracks so easily. Won't it need to be replaced often? Seems a more expensive choice to me. :rolleyes:

Or is the slate you are talking about not real slate? Is it a resin product? I've heard of that for walkways etc.

kelly5

Threads
OMG, Blue slate ?? Why do people do things like this. Yes, agreed, I much prefer a plush, green, well-cared for lawn. Unfortunately, this problem now is hard to reverse.

Smartaleck

Threads
It's real slate alright and it cost her a fortune. It's quite popular around here. It doesn't break easily but then it's not expected that anyone will walk on it as it's very uneven. She has put pots of flowers and a solar powered water feature on it!

pollyannasmum

Threads
I expect it looks quite pretty actually, especially with the pots you mention. I can well understand why she did it if she is very elderly as my own father has trouble mowing his lawn nowadays and my husband has to do it for him.

Rawlings

Threads
Ummmm. I can sympathise with someone wanting to get rid of a grassed lawn if the care is too much for them. On the other hand there are so many other options such as having a clover lawn or an English garden. It's a shame she didn't ask for some help or advice before making the decision.:frown:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
In areas that get quite HOT... where you have too water continuously, I have seen people use rock for a ground cover... slate would most likely be a good choice as it would not have dust...

BUT I like a cool grass growing, and although it gets hot here in Kansas, it is nothing like trying to grow a lawn in the desert...
Glad to be where you can smell freshly cut grass now and then... :smile:KennyV

Green Girl

Threads
We live in the Rocy Mountains on a sloped site. Our home is sided with cedar siding and is stained "Cedar Bark". Our roof is a blend of that cedar tone, dark brown, taupe and touches of slate blue. We used slate for an area with a fire bowl and seating just off our deck----we love it.