OEM Rebuild Kit vs Cheap Carb

GearHead36

Threads
I have a Kohler Command 17HP (CV490S, spec # 27515) with a Walbro carb that leaks. I found a video from Taryl where he provides the Kohler carb rebuild kit p/n (20 521 04-S), and it's $48. Cheap, made-in-China carbs run around $20 on that jungle site. You guys have any luck with the cheap Walbro clones? Do you have any you'd recommend?

Also, the wire to the fuel shutoff solenoid broke off when I disconnected the bullet connector, so I would need a new solenoid, too. The cheap carb option, which includes the solenoid, is sounding good.

Or should I bite the bullet, and get the OEM rebuild kit?

VegetiveSteam

Threads
I have a Kohler Command 17HP (CV490S, spec # 27515) with a Walbro carb that leaks. I found a video from Taryl where he provides the Kohler carb rebuild kit p/n (20 521 04-S), and it's $48. Cheap, made-in-China carbs run around $20 on that jungle site. You guys have any luck with the cheap Walbro clones? Do you have any you'd recommend?

Also, the wire to the fuel shutoff solenoid broke off when I disconnected the bullet connector, so I would need a new solenoid, too. The cheap carb option, which includes the solenoid, is sounding good.

Or should I bite the bullet, and get the OEM rebuild kit?
I know many on here say stay away from the cheap Amazon carbs but when I needed a carb for the Honda engine on my generator, I figured for $26 I really didn't have much to lose, and I really wanted to satisfy my own curiosity. I was pleasantly surprised when I installed the carb and the engine started right up and ran perfect. Three years later it still runs just fine. Since then, I have used cheap Amazon carbs 4 other times, and I am happy to say I am batting 1000. Personally, I have had no issues with these carbs.

For $20 and free returns, I'd sure give it a try. But that's just one man's opinion.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I buy aftermarket carbs from Made-in-China .com or Alibaba , com ( not Ali express )
Way too many scamazon or evilpay vendors are selling defective stuff they bought as scrap metal then pass it off as "fits a" or "OEM part"
Made in China is a B 2 B site so you are always dealing with a real company and not some scam artist working on a lap top in a public toilet cubicle .
Alibaba has a lot more resellers on there but they do not get paid till after you certify that the parts arrived in good condition & work or 90 days after delivery .
I do get some damaged parts via Alibaba but a photo had both a full refund + replacement turn up so I can not recommend those two enough.
OTOH it has taken years to get refunds through evilpay and I am now banned because I have given too many negative feed backs without allowing the vendor to make good the purchase .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Personally I had both good and bad with after market. Most come in after the customer tried to avoid coming to the shop. Many just need re-jetting but some are truly incompatible.

I repair most carburetors instead replacing them.

BTW I have problems with vendors off eBay too not making things right. I even had one vendor threaten to sue me over a bad review because his lies. Even he said he was going to take the matter up with eBay, I reminded him of the eBay requirement of actually having the parts where you say you have them. Not a peek since.