Engine not starting

mloper

Forum Newbie
Threads
I need some help with my Ranch King Pro. When i pull the plug and try the starter it turns over freely. I am getting a spark on the plug. But when I put the plug back in the engine will barely turnover. It will spin just a little and then stop before it moves anymore. Any ideas?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Low battery, bad connections, bad battery cables, bad bushings in starter, Any of there things will do that.

mloper

Forum Newbie
Threads
could it be the relay between the battery and starter? when i have the plug out is spins like crazy.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
That would be the starter solenoid. Yes it could but as a rule it is ether bad not working at all or good. It would be one of the last things I would check. With the plug out the engine has little resistance and it takes less amps and volage to turn the starter.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I need some help with my Ranch King Pro. When i pull the plug and try the starter it turns over freely. I am getting a spark on the plug. But when I put the plug back in the engine will barely turnover. It will spin just a little and then stop before it moves anymore. Any ideas?
Adjust the valves to your engine's specifications so the compression release works as designed. Until that's done don't make any more attempts to start. Reason being, the starter is drawing around 300 amps. or whatever the battery is good for and you will smoke something. Normal amp draw is about 100 amps or possibly a little less.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Adjust the valves to your engine's specifications so the compression release works as designed. Until that's done don't make any more attempts to start. Reason being, the starter is drawing around 300 amps. or whatever the battery is good for and you will smoke something. Normal amp draw is about 100 amps or possibly a little less.

Start small and when work up to valve adjustment. You don't know how many amps. the starter is drawing without a test. The average person would have no way to check amperage draw.