not charging

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Very rare for a flywheel to go bad other than the magnets falling off or breaking away & joining together .
Kohler use regulator rectifiers , not plain rectifiers so they only allow power through when there is a need for it
So make triple sure that the resistance between the red wire on the rectifier and the battery is 0 with the ignition turned on .
The alternator will not generate if it can not see the battery needs charging .
A trick that works well when I suspect that there is a problem with the charging circuit is to connect a battery charger to the + wire on the rectifier plug ( plug disconnected from rectifier ) and the - on the battery .
Turn the charger on then check the voltage at the charger and at the battery .
They should be almost the same
do this with both the key turned on & off .
If I am still not convinced the charging circuit is good, I slip an old headlight globe between the battery & charger to put a load on the circuit.
Kohlers seem more prone to wires breaking at the crimps so they just touch
In this condition they will show continuity with a volt or ohm meter but will not carry a load .
Gets really frustrating when you keep seeing continuity but that moungrel battery just won't charge

johnorlandi

Threads
Very rare for a flywheel to go bad other than the magnets falling off or breaking away & joining together .
Kohler use regulator rectifiers , not plain rectifiers so they only allow power through when there is a need for it
So make triple sure that the resistance between the red wire on the rectifier and the battery is 0 with the ignition turned on .
The alternator will not generate if it can not see the battery needs charging .
A trick that works well when I suspect that there is a problem with the charging circuit is to connect a battery charger to the + wire on the rectifier plug ( plug disconnected from rectifier ) and the - on the battery .
Turn the charger on then check the voltage at the charger and at the battery .
They should be almost the same
do this with both the key turned on & off .
If I am still not convinced the charging circuit is good, I slip an old headlight globe between the battery & charger to put a load on the circuit.
Kohlers seem more prone to wires breaking at the crimps so they just touch
In this condition they will show continuity with a volt or ohm meter but will not carry a load .
Gets really frustrating when you keep seeing continuity but that moungrel battery just won't charge

Why I am changing the flywheel is the original stator broke apart (after I rebuilt the engine) and damaged some of the magnets. I replaced the stator and I cleaned the magnets the best I could but I guess they still are not right so the easiest thing to do is replace all. I will take your advice once I replace all. If when I get the flywheel off I will let you know how good or bad the flywheel is

Thanks for all the info

John

johnorlandi

Threads
yse I think I did this all but I will copy your list and go and do it again to be sure thank You
I finally changed the flywheel/stator/rectifier with all Kohler parts and it is charging great. Thank for the help, the flywheel magnets were all screwed up

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well done
Kohler magnets tend to give more troubles than all the others added together
Never needed to change a Kohler stator unless something had got in there and munched everything up .

johnorlandi

Threads
Well done
Kohler magnets tend to give more troubles than all the others added together
Never needed to change a Kohler stator unless something had got in there and munched everything up .
yes the stator got chewed up a little and I wasnot going to take the chance I bite the bullet and put everything new it work great now

thank again for your help