Normal for Spindles Leaking Oil/Grease on Pro-Turn 48

RustyBoy

Threads
  • / Normal for Spindles Leaking Oil/Grease on Pro-Turn 48
I noticed oil/grease marks coming from the spindles around 20 hours of usage. Both spindles have an accumulation of crud from oil build-up at the bottom of the the spindle housing, and one spindles has some coming out from the side nut. Is this normal? If not, since I only have 30 hours on it now, I was thinking of waiting to bring it to the dealer next year at this time for the transmission fluid change. Any suggestions?

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Have you greased spindles with proper grease? If not, check owners manual for correct grease, purchase grease & grease gun at auto parts store, etc. & grease spindles as well as all grease fittings on mower, make sure you wipe off excess so it won't get on belts, tires, etc.

RustyBoy

Threads
No, haven't greased the spindles because they are sealed.

Have you greased spindles with proper grease? If not, check owners manual for correct grease, purchase grease & grease gun at auto parts store, etc. & grease spindles as well as all grease fittings on mower, make sure you wipe off excess so it won't get on belts, tires, etc.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I suspect management at the factory or dealer told Bubba to take that electric of pneumatic grease gun and pump er full.

gfp55

Threads
I noticed oil/grease marks coming from the spindles around 20 hours of usage. Both spindles have an accumulation of crud from oil build-up at the bottom of the the spindle housing, and one spindles has some coming out from the side nut. Is this normal? If not, since I only have 30 hours on it now, I was thinking of waiting to bring it to the dealer next year at this time for the transmission fluid change. Any suggestions?

You said "side nut" could you post some pictures of this "side nut" and the crud build up you are talking about.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
You will have grease that comes out of the spindle unit as it is not a sealed unit.

Leave it there it will protect the the bearings and shaft from dirt.

If grease can get out then water and dirt can get in this is why you should not hose off the deck.

Chances are to much grease was put in housing.