Non-stick for under deck of mower?

Trig

Threads
Grass gets wet and sticks under the mowing deck on my HRN216 series mower. It builds up and ruins the aerodynamics, makes mulching less effective and even stalls the engine by impeding the blade. I clean it out good after every use. What is good to spray under there to reduce sticking? Is there something to do besides that (beside not mowing of course)?

Trig

p.s. I've seen dirt/mud racing cars/trucks that spray something under the wheel wells to keep mud from building up. That got me thinking...

olgeezershonda

Threads
Have you tried a silicone spray? Although if you have that much build up after every cut I doubt it will make much of a difference. Try to mow when the grass is dry.

Trig

Threads
Silicone Spray, I'll try it. BTW, dry grass in the Pacific Northwest, NOT.

Trig

bkeller500

Threads
Over the last few years, I have used a couple of the different spray's available from the box stores, but they didn't last very long. They did make cleaning the deck easier for a couple of cleanings until they wore off. This summer I purchase this EZ-Slid product and applied 3- coats with a brush and gave it time to cure between coats. It has lasted about 8 mowings so far and certainly made cleaning the deck easier. You will get less build up but eventually it wears away and requires re-coating. I find that light scraping with a plastic drywall scraper removes the grass build up and minimizes the removal of the EZ Slide coating.
Nothing is going to keep the deck clear long term with out reapplication. It gets down to..is it worth it?....... If you can easily pull your deck or have a MoJack lift as I do, then it's fairly quick. I plan to scrape the deck this weekend after mowing but this time I will just spray coat with a can of the same product that come in a spray can to see if it is easier to apply and to see if it lasts as long.

Attachments

• 2120107.jpeg
    2120107.jpeg
    38.6 KB · Views: 7

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Used motor oil slathered on with an old paint brush. Great way to recycle. Really good to winterize the deck with.

You guys need to stop buying stuff and go green. (y)

bkeller500

Threads
Used motor oil slathered on with an old paint brush. Great way to recycle. Really good to winterize the deck with.

You guys need to stop buying stuff and go green. (y)
I don't think anyone would agree that spreading used motor oil over your lawn is going green. There has to be a better way to recycle it.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I don't think anyone would agree that spreading used motor oil over your lawn is going green. There has to be a better way to recycle it.
Now b, do you really think, your entire lawn would get covered with used oil? Even 1 foot of grass saturated? Let's back her down a couple gears please.

The better way to recycle used motor oil is the 100+ year old farmers trick. Spread it on your wooden stockade fence. Course the entire city might get flooded with motor oil while you are doing it. Wear your SCUBA gear when applying LOL.

bkeller500

Threads
Do what you want..........I really don't care one way or another...........Just sayin that applying used motor oil to your underside of deck is not going green and others would challenge you on that.

enigma-2

Threads
Oil will slow or prevent rusting of a steel deck, but oil is stick and doubt it would prevent wet grass from sticking.

Nothing really works very well (or everyone would be using it and the manufacturers would recommend it in the owners manual).

Perhaps a paste wax, Caribana is long lasting, may help in preventing grass build up. Clean deck, smear on wax, let dry to film, buff gloss. Should help.