No start issue

garyoldfart

Forum Newbie
Threads
The newer testers here in ohio anyway won't test under load.
Alternator or battery they just say it is fine. After two or 3 trips
to 2 different stores we finally determined a bad battery cell.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Good Old Walmart. I've been using their batteries for many years and will hold up as well as ones with twice the price. $30 for a 230 amp, which is all needed for a single cylinder. I think $40 for a 275 amp. I bring it home, top off the charge and always put a battery tender when not used for more than a month. I easily get 4 years or more. Bring it indoors for the Winter.

Also clean all your battery cable connections. Both ends. Make sure the solenoid and engine mounting bolts are tight.
I used Walmart batteries for years but ran into a situation where the batteries on the shelf were 12-14 months old. And since the batteries are wet charge/wet ship are supposed to be put into service within 6 months of manufacture.

SCAGCAT

Forum Newbie
Threads
This is with an Ariens 42" hydro tractor, model 936042. I only get a click from the fuel solenoid on the carburetor. Using a voltmeter, I checked the voltage at the energizing wire at the starter solenoid, and I get 9 volts. I get 12.47 volts at the battery and the battery post on the starter solenoid. If I test the voltage on the starter post on the solenoid, I only get 1.6 volts. But here's the real puzzler. I get a very weak spark when I try to jump the 2 posts on the starter solenoid. Nothing at all from the starter itself.
Even if the starter solenoid is faulty, shouldn't there be something from the starter when the 2 posts are jumped?
One thing that it did when I last used it was, when I shut it off, it sputtered instead of shutting down, like it didn't want to shut off.
Also, I was doing the tests with the voltmeter with the clutch/brake pedal depressed and the parking brake on.
Thanks much!
I had the same issue with 37hp vanguard. The fix was surprisingly easy after months of frustration This from amazion took care of it has not failed since. Took a few minutes to install.

Attachments

• IMG_4889.png
    IMG_4889.png
    1,005.5 KB · Views: 15

AChrome

Threads
Best thing to do with your batteries at the end of the season is to make sure they are fully charged and put them on a trickle charger all winter. I've gotten as much as 5+ years out of the Wallyworld batteries.