Export thread

no spark

A

ACF

i have a honda gcv 160 i can not get any spark replaced coil, spark plug and ground wire and still no spark any clues

thanks

AC

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Remove the small kill wire from the coil, and try to start. If you have spark then, either the kill wire is shorted to ground (not likely since you replaced it) ( insulation chewed or rubbed off and touching mower, or if equipped, On/Off switch is bad)
Are the flywheel magnets good? they should be strong enough to hold a large screwdriver and feel a good magnetic pull from 2 or 3 inches away, at least.
Also, how are you checking for spark?

A

ACF

did remove small wire still no spark even with new coil nothing, replaced kill switch under fly wheel, checked to see if ground wire was bad and it was good no shorts, using a spark checking tool that connects to spark plug and coil has a light in middle to see if there is any spark, magnets seem to be good it will pull coil into it but will try screwdriver

S

slomo

Were these OEM Honda parts or Chinese Amazon Ebay junk?

A

ACF

oem honda parts
Were these OEM Honda parts or Chinese Amazon Ebay junk?

S

slomo

Maybe your inline spark tester is bad??

Take an old plug. Gap it to 1/4" wide. Ground the electrode side. Pull the rope looking for spark. Should be nice and blue.

Are you pulling the rope fast enough? My wife can't put the zip into most engines on her own. You need so many rpms to light the sparklers up.

A

ACF

new tester tried that and nothing and rope speed is good

S

slomo

new tester tried that and nothing and rope speed is good
Have you seen it light up before?

New doesn't mean it works.

A

ACF

used it on other engines works fine

B

bertsmobile1

Very rare for a Genuine Honda part to be bad out of the box but anything can happen.
Try flipping the coil over
Inside is a timing chip that replaces the points and a lot of these are polarity sensitive
So one way the voltage will go 0 => + => 0 => - => 0
flipped over it will go 0 => - => 0 => + => 0

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Very rare for a Genuine Honda part to be bad out of the box but anything can happen.
Try flipping the coil over
Inside is a timing chip that replaces the points and a lot of these are polarity sensitive
So one way the voltage will go 0 => + => 0 => - => 0
flipped over it will go 0 => - => 0 => + => 0
I thought if it's flipped, it would still produce spark, just not at the right time....
but as you said, anything can happen.

B

bertsmobile1

I thought if it's flipped, it would still produce spark, just not at the right time....
but as you said, anything can happen.
Some do some don't all depends upon how the circuit is configured
On some of the old B & S side bangers that originally had points will run on a modern magneto but only if it is flipped over to reverse the polarity pulse
If the trigger holds the circuit closed till the magnet has all but passed the coil there will not be enough flux to generate a spark

S

slomo

+ - + - + - + -

- + - + - + - +

A

ACF

turned the coil over and it worked thanks for all the help
great site

ac service shack

B

bertsmobile1

turned the coil over and it worked thanks for all the help