no spark

ACF

Threads
i have a honda gcv 160 i can not get any spark replaced coil, spark plug and ground wire and still no spark any clues

thanks

AC

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Remove the small kill wire from the coil, and try to start. If you have spark then, either the kill wire is shorted to ground (not likely since you replaced it) ( insulation chewed or rubbed off and touching mower, or if equipped, On/Off switch is bad)
Are the flywheel magnets good? they should be strong enough to hold a large screwdriver and feel a good magnetic pull from 2 or 3 inches away, at least.
Also, how are you checking for spark?

ACF

Threads
did remove small wire still no spark even with new coil nothing, replaced kill switch under fly wheel, checked to see if ground wire was bad and it was good no shorts, using a spark checking tool that connects to spark plug and coil has a light in middle to see if there is any spark, magnets seem to be good it will pull coil into it but will try screwdriver

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Were these OEM Honda parts or Chinese Amazon Ebay junk?

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Maybe your inline spark tester is bad??

Take an old plug. Gap it to 1/4" wide. Ground the electrode side. Pull the rope looking for spark. Should be nice and blue.

Are you pulling the rope fast enough? My wife can't put the zip into most engines on her own. You need so many rpms to light the sparklers up.

ACF

Threads
new tester tried that and nothing and rope speed is good

ACF

Threads
used it on other engines works fine

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Very rare for a Genuine Honda part to be bad out of the box but anything can happen.
Try flipping the coil over
Inside is a timing chip that replaces the points and a lot of these are polarity sensitive
So one way the voltage will go 0 => + => 0 => - => 0
flipped over it will go 0 => - => 0 => + => 0