No spark Briggs Intek 20HP

keakar

Threads
I presume you took care to set the clearance to the coil carefully.

Unfortunately, I can't think of much else there is to this simple electrical system. You've disconnected the grounding wires, replaced the coil and spark plug and the symptoms haven't changed. The only other thing is the magnet which doesn't seem at all likely. I'd start looking at other possible explanations.

Have you checked to see if the flywheel key is broken? Compression good? Fuel actually getting into the engine?

It might help to describe in detail the behavior of the engine when you try to start it, and any changes in it you have noticed when trying various repairs.
this ^^^^
loosen the screws on the coils then put a business card between it and the flywheel then let the magnet suck it tight and then retighten the screws. a business card gets you the right gap but im not sure what the feeler gauge thickness would be if you rather do it that way.

as mentioned, the spark on newer coils isnt as big and bright but if you have a spark, even a weak one, it should start and run

i dont think the weak spark is your problem, hit it with a shot of starting fluid and if it starts then you issue is fuel supply to, or the carburetor itself so confirm the fuel pump is pumping as it should by removing the plugs and running the hose to the carb into a jug and crank the engine over. removing the plugs lets it get a decent rpm going for the test

Threads
Compression good both cylinders. Getting fuel, pump working, plugs get wet. I have another Intek in the shop with bright spark. I wish I had another flywheel to try. Key was good when I removed the flywheel. It'll crank but won't even try to fire. Coils are completely unhooked, can just barely make out a light on the tester.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well, if you have 2 of the same engine, swap parts until you figure out what the problem is.
I have done that a few times.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
What's the engine model number?

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Doesn't Briggs re-magnetize flywheel magnets? I saw something about that a while back. It was on a 40 plus year old Briggs engine. Think Donnyboy or Taryl did a video maybe??

slomo

Threads
The other engine is a single cylinder. This one is model 407777 0174E1

TONY THORNTON

Forum Newbie
Threads
WORKING ON MY LT 3000 RIDING MOWER WITH A 20 HP BRIGGS AND STRATTON. INSTALLED NEW STARTER ,COIL AND PLUG. TURNS OVER BACKFIRES THEN STOPS. I HAVE TO TURN THE FLY WHEEL TO GET IT TO TURN OVER AGAIN. ANY SUGGESTIONS. THANKS TONY T

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First stop screaming...All caps is considered yelling at us.

Sounds like you may have two problems. One with the ACR being broken and the other is a possible shear flywheel or broken flywheel. I had one engine earlier that had both problems of a broken ACR on the camshaft and a busted flywheel.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
WORKING ON MY LT 3000 RIDING MOWER WITH A 20 HP BRIGGS AND STRATTON. INSTALLED NEW STARTER ,COIL AND PLUG. TURNS OVER BACKFIRES THEN STOPS. I HAVE TO TURN THE FLY WHEEL TO GET IT TO TURN OVER AGAIN. ANY SUGGESTIONS. THANKS TONY T
We need to know your model numbers. Model, type, and code.