No Oil on top end.

grumpyunk

Threads
If you actually have ZERO oil pressure, you would likely have bearing failure occur a lot sooner than rocker arm/pushrod damage.
Did you connect to where the oil pressure switch is screwed in place? When it runs, does the oil filter get hot? Flowing oil would make the filter get hot enough you would know, hopefully not too hot to be able to put fingers onto the surface without getting burned.
Have you taken it apart? Could the oil pickup be clogged with debris? A B&S service manual is available in PDF on the web which might give more technical help in determining the problem.
What makes you think it needs an oil pump? The oil pump has just about the most lubricated moving parts of any engine. Did you take yours apart and inspect for damage? If the pump has a relief valve, it may be opening or getting stuck/jammed and allowing low oil pressure. Have you inspected the relief valve to be sure it seats properly?
Even a damaged pump will build pressure. Pressure only develops if the volume the pump produces is more than the volume that leaks past the bearings and other lubricated parts. You could have excessive bearing clearance or a galley plug that has come loose, letting the oil flow to easily right back to the sump without developing any measurable pressure.
I think I would do more inspection before condemning the pump. If you have taken the pump apart for inspection, take some pictures and post them. Unless the pump is not being driven properly, as in lugs are worn or a gear is damaged, most pumps even on their last legs will produce some pressure. But, the lubrication system must be intact and undamaged.
If you really want to know, take it apart, check for bearing/journal wear, loose or missing plugs, intact drive to the actual pump to be sure it is being active, and a functional relief valve. Internal inspection for evidence of damage can insure you are not replacing a good pump that should function and are missing the actual cause.
What was the symptom that indicated you had lubrication problems?
tom

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If the pump was dead, the motor would burn up in no time. Air cooled can only go so far.

There isn't a lot of oil in the valve cover like in a car engine for example. Especially a valve cover that is up high on the engine. Am I missing something here?
I think if there was an oil pump failure the first symptom wouldn't be no oil in the valve covers. First symptom would be letting the factory smoke escape from the crankcase when the rod bearings failed on the crankshaft.

VRR.DYNDNS>BIZ

Threads