Engine No high speed

MGP

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am the new owner of a 1995 Gold-series 5 HP self-propelled mower.
The throttle has little affect.
There does not seem to be a full throttle RPM increase.

The owners manual does not talk about the carburetor or the high speed needle.

It must have one.... Any advice?
The electric start does not work either... Another project....
Might just be a battery..... Also missing the charging cord.

But the rpm increase is the biggest issue.

Thanks, M

Last edited:

ironhorse

Threads
check to see if the throttle shaft is binding, i've seen this when the carburetor mounting screws are over tightened, may also want to check if the governor spring is still hooked up to the lever:wink:

Fireman 123

Threads
And there's also a thumb wheel directly under the governor air vane. Turn clockwise to increase rpms. You'll hear and feel it click. Good luck

MGP

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks guys, I will check it out this weekend.

MGP

Forum Newbie
Threads
Re: No High-Speed RPM... only a small increase from idle...

Well, I took cover off the 5HP gold-series and looked at everything... I still can't find the high speed screw... After re-reading the previous post... I need to back and look again at the plastic "wheel" under the vertical fin that extends up into the flywheel area. The plastic throttle mechanism does not appear to be connected to the vertical fin... The vertical fin is somewhat spring loaded... Throttle movement from idle to full throttle only varies the RPM by about 300 RPM...... It needs another 500 RPM increase. Still not finding anything in the manual or online. Thanks for your help...

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Post up the engine/type number and I'll have a look into it.

Fireman 123

Threads
There's no high speed jet, only air/fuel ratio. The wheel you referred to is connected to the throttle lever by a spring that winds inside the wheel itself. It may be disconnected.

MGP

Forum Newbie
Threads
Re: No high speed RPM

Well, I guess I need to take it back a part and see if there is a spring..... Does the carb have to come off or just the gas tank /shroud?

It is a Lawn-Boy -Gold Series - Electric Start, Self-Propelled walk behind mower. Model Number #10546, S/N 7905773. 5HP....

Separate question... The battery is dead... is there a separate cord to charge the battery or do you have to buy a new battery. It starts easy, but nice if it worked for my wife.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Take the battery off and try and charge it, if it hold's charge it's ok and if not then buy a new one.
is it a B&S engine..?

MGP

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have not found a plate yet.... It is a greasy mess.... so not sure what the mfg is... The battery has 6 individual cells... Is it a 6 volt? Can I just use my automotive battery charger?