No crank or spark

navydad2022

Threads
Did a little trouble shooting as much as I could,no crank or spark.checked voltage at starter and it has 12.89 and at solenoid connection the same Voltage, any suggestions on this please.Snapper mower 281223BVE also checked ignition switch

Last edited:

shadetree#1

Threads
Try using a jumper cable to the starter so as to bypass all and see if it cranks. You can do this with the key off. (using your mower battery or a automotive battery)
I make a good connection at the starter stud or solenoid stud FIRST for the pos and do the ground last. this reduces the chance of arcing the threads on the starter or solenoid.
let us know the results of the test.

navydad2022

Threads
Try using a jumper cable to the starter so as to bypass all and see if it cranks. You can do this with the key off. (using your mower battery or a automotive battery)
I make a good connection at the starter stud or solenoid stud FIRST for the pos and do the ground last. this reduces the chance of arcing the threads on the starter or solenoid.
let us know the results of the test.
I'll attached the positive to starter stud and negative to ground in body?

shadetree#1

Threads
You might consider:
Charge up the lawn tractor battery, let it set 24 hours then if you do not have a battery load tester take the battery to O'reillys or a auto shop for a free battery test.
If you do not have a battery charger just take it as is and probably have to leave it for few hours for the load test. Best to not charge them small batterys at more than about 6 amps or they get hot and shortenes their life span sometimes.

navydad2022

Threads
I bought a new battery that is pushing out 12.89 at the solenoid.l think the switch or solenoid is not passing current to starter because l didn't have spark . would it be safe to say to get new switch and solenoid?

shadetree#1

Threads
Are you saying that the engine cranks over fast with your new battery but the spark plug is not producing a spark when looking at the spark plug with it removed from the cylinder or ???????????????

Or it's not cranking over fast with your new battery but cranks over fast using the jumper cables connected to the starter???

Give us a clue?

mechanik9591

Forum Newbie
Threads
Did a little trouble shooting as much as I could,no crank or spark.checked voltage at starter and it has 12.89 and at solenoid connection the same Voltage, any suggestions on this please.Snapper mower 281223BVE also checked ignition switch
Well I would start with voltage and I think you did. Does your starter have 12 volts running yo it? Are you a le to jump the starter solinoid?.if it does turn over then I would say that it might have something to do with you safety mechanisms that keep it from starting (in gear or your propellers are invaded. Start with that and check all fuses goodluck

navydad2022

Threads
Well I would start with voltage and I think you did. Does your starter have 12 volts running yo it? Are you a le to jump the starter solinoid?.if it does turn over then I would say that it might have something to do with you safety mechanisms that keep it from starting (in gear or your propellers are invaded. Start with that and check all fuses goodluck
Yes, jumped started the starter and cranks to start,At first l didn't have spark at plug, my thoughts are that it could be the switch not letting spark to starter and is grounding out.l test check the solenoid and it engages or clicks .also l think you or probably right on safety switch not letting it spark.Thank you