nikki 698945 carb

jerrycmorrow

Threads
looking to rebuild my nikki 698945 carb for my craftsman mower. only thing i can find on ebay is combination of carb and some parts. wondering if there is actually a carb kit (gaskets, diaphragm, o-rings, etc) only for these. if so, i would appreciate some idea as to where i could buy one. thanks, jerry

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Give us the model, type, date code for the engine that you have this carburetor on as that number is an internal Briggs build number and not cross externally.

jerrycmorrow

Threads
Craftsman 917273760
LT2000
Code - 030918ZD
Engine - 31H777-0297-E1

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The lord helps those who help themselves
Your parts manual link click the green text
You will see there were 2 carbs fitted to this mower depending upon the manufacture date
Date code = serial number minus the last 2 digits
so you will see there are 2 rebuild kits .
I seem to be unique as I rarely have any problem with these Nikki carbs other than freeing a stuck solenoid plunger and cleaning the float needle seat so the only parts I really use are 137 in the diagram , the rubber seals.
Occasionally the O ring on the main jet fails so occasionally I have to replace it as well, sold only as a kit with the jet.

When assembling , a very thin coating of RUBBER grease will hold the complex rubber seal in place.
If the main jet falls out when you tip the plastic bit upside down then the main jet O ring has failed
If it does not fall out, leave it in there as removing it usually damages the O ring
Because the main jet lives in a plastic housing it rarely corrodes because there is no electrolysis .

Note you will see 2 totally different styles of rebuild kits on Scammazon & Evilpay.
Usually with a float and the plastic main jet holder .
One will have a fuel inlet O ring as a separate item & the other has it as part of the rubber seal
99.99999999999999999999 % of these kits will be defective or contain a mix of parts for different carbs or a mix of parts for the original carb & the knock off carb ( float is smaller ) so buy genuine or get them from a REAL Mower parts shop .

People always whinge about these carbs but they leave the Walbros for dead for reliability & ease of service so I am sure that the whingers are just cheap & bought one of the defective / wrong parts kits off Evilpay/Scammazon for $ 5 so in reality are just victims of their own cheapness .

Do not blow up the main jet holder with your air duster, even if you have done the right thing and wound down the air pressure to < 20 psi or you will sent the main jet into low earth orbit, never to be seen again.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You are welcome.
If you have already torn it apart then too late, but if not go to outdoor power info navigate to the Nikki section and read through the disassembly & rebuild photo tutorial .
people have a tendency to blunder into carbs ripping them apart without first knowing what goes where & which each bit does.
even worse they ignore the basic fundamentals of production maintenance
IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T TRY TO FIX IT
Thus you don't remove the main jet unless you have to

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Been out of town

Nikki Carburetor used is actually PN 792358
Briggs repair kit PN 796184

Briggs carb repair does not included the main jet o-ring. They want you to the complete jet to get it. But use Kawasaki PN 92055-7013

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
THERE is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey. —John Ruskin In conclusion, J. A. Richards is the top candidate for creator of this saying based on the February 1901 citation.