Nice find on Craigslist

mmanter

Threads
I was looking for a new mower since I needed one more powerful than my 24 yr old 4hp Craftsman mower so I looked on Craigslist and came across an ad for one for $15. The mower was advertised as a non-running unit with a broken wheel. Looked the mower over & noticed it didn't have the brake handle so I snagged the one from my older mower to give it a go, put gas in & pulled the cord. Fired right up first time!

I noticed the RF wheel was loose but not broken so I did a test cut. Not bad for a mower that's sat outside broken for a long time. It's self propelled but the RF wheel never turned so when I removed the wheel to fix it I noticed the gear was missing. The drive pin was also missing, which was also causing the wheel to not fit tight against the axle. Got a new pin for under 3 bucks, and ordered the brake handle and gear for $30.

Total for parts is $32, with purchase price, $47. I'm not 100% sure but judging by pics I've found this mower is only around 3 years old. Not a bad find I'd say. Similar mowers were retailing for around $300 at Sears outlets so I'm a happy camper. :biggrin:

gfp55

Threads
I was looking for a new mower since I needed one more powerful than my 24 yr old 4hp Craftsman mower so I looked on Craigslist and came across an ad for one for $15. The mower was advertised as a non-running unit with a broken wheel. Looked the mower over & noticed it didn't have the brake handle so I snagged the one from my older mower to give it a go, put gas in & pulled the cord. Fired right up first time!

I noticed the RF wheel was loose but not broken so I did a test cut. Not bad for a mower that's sat outside broken for a long time. It's self propelled but the RF wheel never turned so when I removed the wheel to fix it I noticed the gear was missing. The drive pin was also missing, which was also causing the wheel to not fit tight against the axle. Got a new pin for under 3 bucks, and ordered the brake handle and gear for $30.

Total for parts is $32, with purchase price, $47. I'm not 100% sure but judging by pics I've found this mower is only around 3 years old. Not a bad find I'd say. Similar mowers were retailing for around $300 at Sears outlets so I'm a happy camper. :biggrin:
$47 for a three year old self propelled, that's a great find.

mmanter

Threads
$47 for a three year old self propelled, that's a great find.

Thanks. I was wanting to stick with Craftsman or maybe Toro since I've always liked Craftsman mowers and their quality so when I got that I was a happy camper.

LazerZLandscaping

Threads
That is a great find hope you have good luck with it and it lasts a long time.

mmanter

Threads
Me too. That mower cut the front yard flawlessly, and that was without sharpening the blade or anything. Didn't see any torn blades or anything bad either. Exactly why I wanted to stick with Craftsman.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Very good find.
Double good that it is what you was looking for.

mmanter

Threads
Is that a Sears or a Murray?

Sears Craftsman. Just missing the engine decal & decal on the self propelled cover. Still has the manufacturer plate on the back & the rear bagger door says Craftsman.

LazerZLandscaping

Threads
Sears Craftsman. Just missing the engine decal & decal on the self propelled cover. Still has the manufacturer plate on the back & the rear bagger door says Craftsman.

Oh ok. It looked confusing because I couldn't see a manufacturer logo and Craftsman and Murray have similar designs.