Next Year's Garden??

Harriet

Threads
Once the seed catalogues start showing up in the mail, I get the bug to start planning for next year's garden tasks. What do you do during the winter to prepare next year's garden??

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Once the seed catalogues start showing up in the mail, I get the bug to start planning for next year's garden tasks. What do you do during the winter to prepare next year's garden??
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To prepare for garden in the spring I spend time in the winter plowing my garden one shovel at a time. I'm nearly half finished and It's not even December. Looks as if I better slow down.:biggrin:

Attachments

• MVC-003F.JPG
    MVC-003F.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 9

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To prepare for garden in the spring I spend time in the winter plowing my garden one shovel at a time.

That is how my mom preferred to do it... She always had the BEST garden anywhere. She could grow everything... :smile:KennyV

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
To prepare for garden in the spring I spend time in the winter plowing my garden one shovel at a time. I'm nearly half finished and It's not even December. Looks as if I better slow down.:biggrin:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have sore plow parts today but not too bad for an old plow.

Lucy

Threads
In San Diego, I garden year round and the gardening is pretty much ongoing and a continuous work in progress. Conditions change throughout the year, so there are some seasonal chores, of course.

bret

Threads
I am already planning what I want to plant in the greenhouse, what will be the most profitable and gain the most yield. I am really so excited.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Start with the things you have the most experience with... you can always try other things as you succeed with the plants you know...
Don't overlook flowers and other non edible plants... grow the things you enjoy tending to... :smile:KennyV

jhwentworth

Threads

With the ground as hard as a brick, there isn't much to do in a garden right now in New Hampshire. Unless you own a backhoe you aren't going to break ground. Even in a greenhouse things are moving very slow unless you use a lot of supplemental heating and lighting. Things just sort of shutdown around here during December and January, but towards the middle of February there are signs of hope with lengthening days and the long stretches of cold weather behind us. I am considering the use of "Quick Hoops" to extend the growing season, and they could make March and April productive.

February is a good time for pruning fruit trees in that the tree is still dormant, and you probably won't freeze to death while doing it.

So, the short to your question is "not much", at least until February.